Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to vacuum pack fresh corn

Mark0525
Mark0525 Posts: 1,235
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just bought a vacuum pack machine and I would love to take corn on the cob and freeze a bunch of for the winter. What's the best way of doing it/ Do I cook it all the way and then cut it off the ear or do I just cook it for a couple minutes? Thanks for your help.
Mark

Comments

• Best way to do corn on the cob is to pressure cook for 2 minutes.

Check it:
    http://www.ochef.com/1203.htm
  • Mark0525
    And then slice it off the cob? I don't have a pressure cooker
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    This is what I do.

http://pickyourown.org/freezingcorn.htm

Works very well.

Mark

PS. This site is an excellent resource for a lot of things btw. ;)
  • Step 1: Go buy a pressure cooker!

Step 2: cut it off the cob unless you have a monster freezer.

Good thing about having spare cobs around is you have a backup plan in case you run out of toilet paper. History can be gross. :)
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Mark,

I've tried it a few different ways over the years and my favorite is to take it off the cob and cook it for 5 minutes or so with some butter and salt. then put it in you vac bag and 'sit' it in an ice bath to cool. Then seal'em up and freeze. Super easy to reheat and way better than any canned stuff you'll buy.

Makes a heck of a mess, but oh well.
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    I have been doing this for a couple of years now and I have good luck and great taste out of boiling for 2 minutes on the cob , then when it gets cool enough to handle , cut the corn off the cob and then place the corn into vacuum bags , then place in the freezer. just make sure the bag is free from any stray kernels at the sealing point to ensure a good seal.
  • Mark0525
    Thanks Mark for the info
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Mark, I just prepped 4 dozen ears of Silver Queen last night. The ears of corn were boiled in salt water for about 3 minutes. Then I stripped the corn off the ears with a very sharp knife. Then I took the spine of my knife and made sure I extracted as much of the remaining germ and milk as possible by running it tightly against the stripped cobs. I took my hands and seperated the cut kernels while the corn was warm. I applied butter and salt and let the corn cool. When placing the cornin the vac bags, I cleaned off the stray kernels and liquid that was near the area to be sealed. It was vacumn packed on the moist setting with the pulse vac control (manual control). There was some fluid in the reservior that I cleaned out afterwards. It's in the freezer now. I'm picking up more corn today to make a corn chowder.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I'd suggest picking up a corn kernel cutter. They can be found for less than those shown at the site WW pointed to. They save a ton of time, and I've never gotten slabs of cob mixed w. the corn the way I have when using a knife.

Also, try to get really fresh corn. I'm lucky enough to have a stand about 10 minutes away, and during the peak of the season, they are usually bringing fresh baskets in from the field every 1/2 hour. Better yet is a you pick. A package of fresh frozen corn opened in January is just about as good as a sunny day.
  • Mark0525
    I agree. We have a far a mile up the road from us. I will try and find ones of those cutter. Thanks
  • 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    Last sat morning neighbor called told us they had all they wanted and to come and get all we wanted so wife and daughter went and picked 7- 6gallon buckets full we shucked them wife got the canner on to boil she boiled each batch about 10 min put in a cold water bath to cool then daughter and I cut off the cob wyyh sharp knives bagged it in qt freezer bags then to the freezer we did 38qt in about 2 1/2 hr good stuff!!!!!
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    triehle98 wrote:
    I have been doing this for a couple of years now and I have good luck and great taste out of boiling for 2 minutes on the cob , then when it gets cool enough to handle , cut the corn off the cob and then place the corn into vacuum bags , then place in the freezer. just make sure the bag is free from any stray kernels at the sealing point to ensure a good seal.
    This works for us its great when its 0 out
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Mark, this video was emailed to me today by none other than lowercasebill. Hope it helps, lol. I am not responsible for the contents.

http://www.sdgsales.com/ez_creamer_video.html
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Nice link Mark. Thanks.
  • THA
    THA Posts: 198
    Then it ain't fresh no more
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    We clean all the husk and silk, then cut the cobs in half. Working in batches of 4 half-cobs we blanch them in boiling water for 2 minutes, them immediately dunk them in an ice bath for a few minutes, then drain well, bag it up, and vac seal.

Simple and works perfectly.