Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with Turkey Breast

Central Pork
Central Pork Posts: 83
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife just brought home a 7 pound turkey breast which I intend to cook tomorrow on my medium egg. I have looked throught the archives and recipes and cant find anything as to the length of time it normally takes to cook a turket breast of this size. Any tips or recipes anyone has to offer is appreciated.........
CP

Comments

• CentralPork,[p]If you watch football it will be a breeze. I do mine direct on a v-rack with drip pan. 250-300 degrees for appx. 3-4 hours, or until 170 internal temp. Use some pecan chips if you have them. Rest for 15 min. with foil tent before carving. Enjoy the game and the bird.[p]DK

• CentralPork,
    I put some type of rub on them (I think my favorite on turkey is Montreal Steak Seasoning) and the roast them at 325, pretty much just like you would in the oven. Time to cook should be roughly the same as when you do it in the oven.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz,
    Thank you both for the help. It was a self basting breast which for that reason I suppose I wont brine. I have heard it will be too salty if you brine a self basting bird. Next time I will have wife buy one that is not self basting. Thanks again.
    CP

• yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    CentralPork,[p]It's not a bad idea to turn the turkey breast 180° about halfway through the cook. I'm not suggesting that you should "flip the bird", so to speak, but that you should turn the South-facing side to face North, and vice-versa. [p]The reason I say this is that a hot spot can develop on one "side" (sector?) of the Egg, and a turn will help to even things out. You don't want one side of the breast over-done and the other side pink, which I had happen twice until some discussion here helped me realize what was going on.[p]Bob