Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CI Sourdough White Cornbread

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just foolin' around on a Sunday afternoon.
IMAGE_195.jpg

IMAGE_196.jpg

The recipe I used was right off the end of an Albers White Corn Meal Box for Sweet Cornbread to which I added a cup of active sourdough starter.

1 1/2 C AP Flour

2/3 C granulated sugar

1/2 C white cornmeal

1T baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

1 1/4 C Milk

2 large eggs lightly beaten

1/3 C vegetable oil

3T melted butter

1 C Sourdough starter

Preheat egg to 375° dome grease 10" CI Skillet or spray with Pam, heat on platesetter.

Combine: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in medium bowl. Combine milk, eggs, oil and butter in a small bowl and mix well. Add sourdough starter and wet ingredients to flour mixture, stir just until blended. Pour into heated skillet.

Bake for 35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Variation: add one chopped mango to batter

Mango Man

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    How was it? Looks great Steve!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Take another look, I added a picture when it cooled. Its was just right. I realized with ten minutes to go that I probably needed to boost the temp to 375° to get 350° at the grid. I let it go another 10 minutes with a toothpick test every 5 min.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Yea, that was tasty! :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

The cornbread looks perfect, I love a sweet cornbread and the addition of the sourdough is sheer genius! That is a work of art, I have bookmarked it for future reference. Thanks for sharing.

Blair

• 'Q Bruddah
    Hey, Gator, glad you liked it. I am just here to serve.
  • ozegg
    ozegg Posts: 50
    Looks nice and moist. Hows the cast iron for cakes?
  • CI for cakes works pretty well, as Mrs. Lake Conroe Egger proves it with the pineapple upsidedown cake that stoletheshow at the TexasEggfest in Austin this past May :woohoo:

P5010045.jpg

P5010047.jpg

P5010048.jpg

give it a try and let us know what you think B)