Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Twice baked potato help

Big E
Big E Posts: 51
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have not done to many twice baked potato's but when I do it I struggle with being able to leave enough in the skin to keep its shape for refilling. Am I cooking it to long or do I let it cool slighly? I love these things but it always seems be a pain.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    i assume you are using russet taters? if not that might be part of the problem .. let them cool a bit so they firm up some and then drag a fork thru to score the surface , remove and repeat .. don't try to scoop it all at once.. as to over cooking .. backed taters are done at 210° try using your thermopen and compare a 210 tater to what you normall do.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    DSC09440a.jpg

They are way easier than you would think... First bake some 'taters. Then cut some football shaped areas in the skin, and scoop out the innards.

DSC09445a.jpg

I'm using some buckboard bacon, cheese, roasted garlic, spinach, cheese and some sour cream...but about anything will work. Just mix it all together, and add salt & pepper to taste.

DSC09446a.jpg

I oil and salt the outside of the skins, then re-stuff it carefully and put them back on the Egg. Sometimes I put the lids back on for part of the cook, this will help if you use a lot of cheese in them. For this part of the cook, you just to get them hot, so 30 minutes might be fine.

DSC09448a.jpg

DSC09451a.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • WoW! All I can say is WoW! Those are picture perfect. My weakness is potatoe's every which way they can be cooked!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Ricklesss
    Ricklesss Posts: 391
    Thank you, for this thread!
    I do believe, that these twice baked tater's are the next new "sumthin'" that I'm getting into...
    Man, they just look scrumptious!
  • beerguy
    beerguy Posts: 116
    Those look fantastic and I can't wait to try making them! Thanks for the tip on 210 being the temperature to remove the potatoes.