Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock ???

loxic
loxic Posts: 25
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
1st off thank you to everyone who posts on this forum, I have learned so much from this site I should probably set it as my home page.

I have made spatchcock chicken once before however we are having about 20 people over this weekend and I was thinking about doing barbecue spatchcock, has anyone ever done this and am I able to do three or four birds at one time on a large? Thanks again to all who offer their insight.

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    loxic: Do you have an adjustable (multi level) grid set up yet? Going to be tight for 3 birds. You may be better to halve them, you can fit them tighter together this way. (though I agree, Spatchcocks look pretty cool to somebody that hasn't seen it before)
  • loxic
    No multi level grid yet. I was thinking about purchasing one anyways. If I had a multilevel grid could I do 2 birds on bottom and one bird on upper level? Wasn't sure how the top bird would come out because it wouldn't be exposed to direct heat.
  • Little Chef
    You could probably do two and two...maybe even three and three...and you would have to rotate from the top to bottom and vice versa. Even if you went indirect, which is great for birds, too, you would still be facing rotation issues. May be better for this many people to just go with chx parts or halves?
  • loxic
    Thanks for your in put sounds like I will go with chicken parts unless I can convince the misses that we should get another BGE
  • Little Chef
    NOW you're thinking!!! :laugh: But honey.... :whistle:
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    I do three birds (5 lbs each) on my large EVERY TIME I DO EM. Reason is simple. Never too much chicken at my house, and any leftovers get thrown into an awesome chicken salad my baby makes. Also, and this is my kicker, the three birds are placed on the grid (direct) and all the legs are facing the middle and on top of one another. This cuts down on the amount of char that the leg takes on the bone, and keeps me from having to put aluminum foil booties on the legs half way thru the cook. I do like to spritz or slather (depending on the cook) about 3/4 of the way thru the cook, and I usually rearrange the legs a bit to put the ones on the top towards the bottom. Hope that makes sense, but you can CERTAINLY do 3 birds on the large.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    You can do four birds at once, just not spatchcock. Just to them indirect upright, like 'beer can' chicken. Shove a can up to help hold the birds upright, spread their legs and you can do four birds at one time. I've done it.

Or, half **** the birds. Once split, remove the breast bone and cut in half. Now you have 8 half birds you can move around the grill to find space.
  • kmellecker
    kmellecker Posts: 332
    Great idea...another home run on the forum. Thanks much for the tip.
  • What everybody else has already said!!!
    Or...Do a smoked turkey. I have had a 24 lb. bird on my Lg. (just fitting) and it was a hit and REALLY GOOD!
    Rule of thumb with a turk is 1 lb. per person.