Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tri-Tip... Incredible!!!

Roll Tide
Roll Tide Posts: 505
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Tonight I cooked my first tri-tip and I have to say that it was absolutely incredible. I couldn't believe how flavorful and tender it was. My wife said she didn't want NY strip, ribeye, or filet anymore, just cook tri-tip when we want steak. Regardless here it is. only thing is i cooked it a little long...

DSC_1310.jpg

DSC_1311.jpg

DSC_1309.jpg

Comments

• Bgolf4me
    Bgolf4me Posts: 16
    I noticed your an Alabama fan. Since moving to the Huntsville area from Calif. I can't find any tri tips worth eating. If you are from this area, where do you get yours?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Roll Tide :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    It is a great cut and one of our favorites when we are in FL. cant get them here in Maine. Do you have a thermopen? they are great for helping with temps :)
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    I live in athens , just a few miles west of huntsville . I always get my tri tips at costco off of the parkway. they sell trimmed choice tri tip two per pack around $18. WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    THe nice thing is you can do it again and again. I have done the same thing as well as everyone else. There is no right or wrong way to doing it.

Glad you enjoyed.

Gary
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

Great looking cook.

Let us know how your egg set up for the cook as well as times.

GG
  • Tri-tip is currently my favourite thing to cook. Super good, super easy, and crazy cheap ($1.99/lb!).

Currently I prefer MB Rich's dry rub (I even skip the basting part) and it is great. Also, I put it on pretty cold (I think next time I will put it in the freezer for 1/2 hour) and cook it for about an hour-ish with red oak at 250 - then a hard seer, rest and relish.

Good good stuff.

I am thinking of adding lime somehow (maybe lime zest?) and parsley to the rub.
  • pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    Still looks wonderful, great job.

Patti
    Wichita ,KS
  • Roll Tide
    BGolf, It's always great to hear from another egger in the area and even better to hear from a fellow Tide Fan! I bought the tri-tip at The Star market at five points. They have a really nice meat dept there with good quality meats. Typically, I get my meat from there, Sams, or the fresh market. I don't have a costco card, but I know they have great meats as triehle98 can attest to, but as for his preference in teams, well that leaves something to be desired....
  • Roll Tide
    Mainegg, I do not currently have a thermopen. However, it is definitely on my to buy list. However, with a 9 week old baby my personal to buy list is being pushed back to accomodate hers.... Thanks for looking
  • Roll Tide
    eggary, I agree with you completely. Atleast we get to enjoy eating out mistakes. Practive makes perfect so I think I'll try and try again.
  • Roll Tide
    GG, I used the recipe contributed to Morro Bay Rich. However, I cooked on raised grid at 350*, then reverse seared around 550*. However, I did not sear as long as I normally would because I knew I was approaching well done, but I wanted a little crust on the outside.
  • Roll Tide
    Tweev, This was cooked with MB Rich's rub. I did use the baste. the red wine vinegar seemed to add nicely to the flavor. I believe a citrusy lime zest as you mentioned would probably compliment the rub nicely.
  • Roll Tide
    Thanks, Pattikake
    We definitely enjoyed it.
  • Roll Tide
    Triehle98, One of these days I'm gonna get a membership to costco and try out their meat. I have heard a lot of great things about it, but have always had a Sam's business membership and hated to switch over.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    No need for a Thermapen. A $20 probe thermometer from Bed Bath and Beyond will do the trick.

In general, I don't do the reverse sear mentioned because it is too hard to insure that you can hit the final temperature that you are trying to achieve.
  • Roll Tide
    Thanks, Morro Bay Rich
    I believe I will do the standard sear then roast, next time for the exact reason you mentioned.
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    that looks good !
  • triehle98
    triehle98 Posts: 208
    Rolltide.... gee that hurts to type it but anyways Costco has a lot better selection and also has a great business account that pays 2% back to you at the end of the year. they also have a vast selection of seafood. Check them out , it doesnt cost a thing to go look. Oh yeah WAR EAGLE !!