Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What I came away with from this weekends bickering

RVH
RVH Posts: 523
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
..that beer can chicken is a waste of time. Somewhere in one of those 95-post smackdown threads someone mentioned, in passing, something about anyone being stupid enough to buy in to the "myth of the beer can chicken". Now, I've received two or three of the Sittin Chicken "cans" as gifts. They have never been used because our chickens always come out very moist just by plunking them down on the grid. I never really had reason to doubt that the whole "bubble liquid up a chicken's a**" thing would be ineffective but after several posters made reference to people pretty much having to be a moron in order to believe this, I thought "Hey! I resemble these remarks", so off to Mr. Google with a "beer can chicken myth" search. And whatta'you know, but our very own Whiz addresses this issue on his website! It was very educational and I learned that the liquid doesn't add moisture, the stuff one usually puts into the liquid doesn't add flavor, and that I have three pieces of useless ceramic that will continue to hold Thermapens and one really cool meat-flipper that Lawn Ranger made for me (thanks Mike).
(and this is just because Sister Jane-Mary always told me I should have at least two paragraphs in anything of this length)
It seems to me that if not for about half of this board going whacko this weekend I would still be a moron. I would just like to thank all who participated in my continuing education. Also, can anyone tell me if a brisket can lower in temp..., nevermind....

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    RVH,

That was the most intelligent post I've seen in days. Try the upside down beer can chicken...no beer.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• lakemead
    lakemead Posts: 76
    and i have 4 sittin new but people do give gifts its the thought they may be flower pots.
  • I learned that beer can chicken was a 'myth' from TNW. Standing on the shoulder of giants....

I'm still not sure where to file 'the upside down chicken'.. Although i do think it's clever.
  • Little Steven
    Oh can we be friends now? It was absolutely brilliant. Congratulations on your boy. The jury is out.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

..."whole "bubble liquid up a chicken's a**"...

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Pretty dang funny Vance.

BTW, I installed a new OS and I don't have your email any more. When you get a minute just send an email to me so it will be in my system. kentja@comcast.net

Kent
  • You're a talking heads fan s you can't be ALL bad :). Also, i give credit where credit is due. I thought the upside down roast chicken was clever. I believe i even said so at the time.

Thanks for the kudos on the kid - i'm typing one handed bc he's been sleeping on me for the last two hours. :)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    re: beer can chicken

is the myth assuming that everyone uses yellow fizzy flavorless stuff?
  • Little Steven
    Didn't want to get all shoogily with you. Try and show some respect and our problems will be behind us.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Probably,they would'nt wanna waste the "Good"beer. ;)
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Hoss wrote:
    Probably,they would'nt wanna waste the "Good"beer. ;)

Looks like I've got some expiramenting to do....
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    The upside-down part comes while the chicken is in the Egg, and the beer's in your hand. To tell the truth, I've used my beer-butt chicken racks lots of times, but I've never put a drop of liquid in 'em...I just use them to shrink the footprint so I can get more birds under the dome.

Oh, and David Byrne rules, baby.
  • Little Steven
    Jason,

I just used the stand and rammed the chicken on backwards. Never done a beer can chicken on the egg. I always thought mushy.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Little Steven
    Brad,

Me either.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• as usual, unless you have tried them personally you don't know what you may be missing. ...i do beer can chickens all the time, and they are my preferred way of roasting whole birds. ..if you don't want those bird holders, feel free to send them my way. .. email me and i'll give you my address.. . .they won't go to waste . . .

and yes, i've read the naked whiz (a very good friend) as well as dr. bbq (another good friend) on this subject, but my experience cooking hundreds of birds this way tells me otherwise. ...but why listen to experience when you can read about science.. :lol:

again, email me and send me those stands. ...you don't want them anyway do you??!!
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Mad Max,
    I'm with you, if whole chicken it's Beer Can standing proud. :woohoo:

I was thinking I might be the only one. :(

Thanks Max,
    Bordello
  • Grandpas Grub

Max, what do you find different with the beer can birds as apposed to whole or spatchcock?

Long ago I did some vertical and couldn't tell any difference with the moisture or flavor.

Kent
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I like to do vertical, but only cause it sits really cool in chubby's grate mate ring in the small (snug, but not tight fit for the bird, close proximity to radiating ceramic all around). I dont put any liquid in though.
  • Grandpas Grub

I have never cooked a whole chicken in my small, but my small is still pretty white.

Do you notice any difference in moisture or texture as apposed to on the grate?

GG
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    I'd have to try it again on both to be sure, I would say I cant see how there would be a difference. I know that they always come out great on the small. The small sometimes has issues running up to high temps, but its a champ holding 400 for a bird. I have only done one whole chicken on a BGE that wasnt on my small. I used to do them on my WSM, or the electric (very nice juicy meat, just toss the skin though, max temp was 275).

Did you get my email about borrowing my medium firebox/firering? I can drop them off for a few days if you want (need the med. for fam reunion this weekend). I am teaching my class tomorrow by your house, let me know. (you dont need to loan me your AR, I was just messing with you). You've done such good testing with the medium issue that you have had, it might be interesting to see how/if a bigger ring/box changes the outcome.
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    I do a lot of whole chickens on my small. My favorite way is using the ceramic holder. I put in a white wine little on the dry side, some garlic and a couple of orange chunks. Rub My Butt rub inside and out side of the bird.

I set the small up indirect around 300 degrees. About 20 min before done I drizzle Honey over the bird which makes a nice glaze. I do it this way with Turkey breast also and we love it. Lots of flavor and very moist the Turkey Breast comes out.

100_0758-1.jpg

100_0764-1.jpg
  • RVH
    Max, I was just trying to add a little humor to the forum after last weekends Slugfest XLCXXVII. I have eaten many a beer can chicken, just not cooked them myself. And besides, without the stands hanging around I wouldn't be able to find my Thermapens..... ;)
  • RVH
    Will do, Kent. We just had to get a brand new computer at my house. A very severe lightning storm went through the area and we thought our house was hit. The modem was found burned and on the floor. All the cables had been melted and three phones were 10-7. Didn't smell real good, either! :ohmy:
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    I was too busy this weekend enjoying friends and family, hangin by the pool, cooking some great food on the egg and drinking many nice cold things.....to many good things in life to appreciate and enjoy
  • LoveHandles
    LoveHandles Posts: 156
    I agree with some of the others, I like doing them this way and the presentation is great. All you need to do is add one of those Cluck & Stuff ceramic chicken heads to the chicken and you'll have everyone laughing like crazy. I'm with Mad Max, if you don't want the stands, I'll take em.
  • I plan to try the upside down vertical roast soon...but I haven't bothered with a vertical roast in ages. I like the spatchcock results much better.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Here's mine...

Walkingandpeeing-1.gifBICKERING

Spring "Let There Be Fun Again" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    This has been proven time and time again that the beer can is only used to hold the bird upright. Any liquid inside does not get hot enough to impart any flavor. All over the web and YouTube with test after test. However if you need to cook four birds in a large, beer can stand is the way.
  • RVH
    I see, Leroy...it's just a matter of windage and elevation.... :laugh:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Looks like your wheel is doing better. Nice arc too :P
  • I think a vertically cooked chicken makes for excellent presentation. I wish I was better at carving chickens (I'm not bad but I don't really follow established methods).

I think they present much better than a spatch-**** - when I was talking about the myth I was referring to the beer imparting flavour to the bird which has been well established it doesn't. Good stuff to know.