Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Zippy Lip Pizza Dough - Will AP flour work?

highpress
highpress Posts: 694
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Recipie calls for bread flour. Will AP flour work ok?
Thank you!

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    It should work, it just won't be quite as stretchy and springy.
  • highpress
  • For pizza dough, anything would work. Would be better to sift it first.

Dipstick
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    What would be the benefit of sifting first?
  • Fidel
    I don't understand that comment either. You aren't looking for light-n-fluffy.

Maybe he knows something I don't, but I am certainly far from a master baker.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    As admitted in the 'what do you suck at (in cooking)" post...my downfall is admmittedly baking. But since I'm going to knead the heck out of the dough anyways...??? :blink: Maybe we'll learn a new trick. ;)
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    highpress, yes, it will, but as fidel said, it will lack some qualities you want; I actually used AP for years before accidentally stumbling on bread flour as an alternative, now it's the standard. Some day, when I grow up, I wanna use that special flour fidel uses with all his other tricks & techniques that render a better texture, but for now, just too lazy, so the bread stuff works great enough
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    You know Fidel..

"This forum doesn't exist for as a venue for us to explain everything to your satisfaction!!

Get it...LMAO!!!

Im not sure on the flour thing unless he's recognizing tghat sifted flour has more volume than not...thus pre sifting will give you a more precise measurement. But it it "that" critical in Pizza dough?

I dunno....
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    Sifting the flour is a whole new topic but yes it is a good idea. You can dump all your ingredients in a bowl, mix and have dough. If you start trying to make a better dough then you start trying new things and sifting is one of them. It helps with hydration of the flour but a whole new topic.
    AP will work but in the future try to find some KASL
    "King Arthur sir lancelot" it is high-gluten flour and makes a nice pizza dough.
    I just ordered some from their web site
    http://www.kingarthurflour.com/
  • Fidel
    Actually, precision is absolutely KEY in pizza dough.

I measure all my ingredients to the gram. Honest.
  • highpress
    Thanks zippylip. Yeah, i want to follow the recipie exactly so i'll pick up bread flour just to be sure... We like pizza on the egg, but never made our own dough. Just bought a KA mixer so i'm looking forward to homemade dough. Hopefully it'll be better than the dough balls we buy at grocery store.
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Jimmy, it is definitely a good beginner level dough, simple & fast. Practice getting it the way you want it, & if you're really into it, migrate on to more complicated methods. Keep in mind though, the slide show uses measurements in cups as opposed to weights, & given that there are variations in humidity & how densly packed the flour is, you will have to make some adjustments to the amount of water to get a consistent outcome, it's pretty easy but does take some practice, so if it doesn't work right away don't get discouraged, just eat your way through the mistakes...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • mrdnks
    mrdnks Posts: 67
    I have a scale also and measure to the oz. Dough making can get as addicting as cooking them. ;)
  • I'm been using the "no-knead" pizza dough lately with great success. The "no-knead" method works great for bread as well. Sorry I don't have the web-site to refer you too. Dave
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Gold Medal bread flour works well for me. King Arthur bread flour doesn't. The dough is too springy. On the other hand, King Arthur AP flour works almost as well as the GM bread flour.