Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

charcoal

Kona Tim
Kona Tim Posts: 35
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Geez----here we go again---never thought it would happen to me, so I wasn't paying attention!!! Anyway, living here on the island it was bound to happen----ran out of lump---plan to do some 1-hour or so cooks this weekend (wouldn't dare attempt a long cook) and wondering if anyone has any tips on using the common brand of briquets---sorry gize 'n' galz, it won't happen again!![p]Kona Tim

Comments

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    kona tim, I have never used em personally but I can only suggest what I would do in your case. Yes, they have been used to some degree of success, but for the most part they are useless for low and slow cook's. Just use a starter chimney or a old coffee can with holes punched in the bottom to start your initial fire. then dump em in and let em turn white...OK for grilling. Just don't use a chemical starter in your cooker..
    Hope this helps...
    Char-Woody

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    kona tim,
    I have used briquettes in a pinch before and they are OK for grilling, but quite a pain to attempt any extended cooking. It can be done by always having additional briquettes ashed over and ready to add to the EGG as the fire box supply diminishes.

• Kona Tim
    Char-Woody, thanks fellas----appreciate your help as always. And if you're ever in the islands..........[p]Kona Tim

• Bama Fire
    Bama Fire Posts: 267
    kona tim,
    Just drop on my.... How are ya enjoying the not so new egg? I've been traveling quite frequently for work lately and haven't been able to put in much QT with the BGE. The wife demands alot of attention -- big surprise.[p]aloha.[p]B~F

• Kona Tim
    Bama Fire, nice to hear from you! To answer your question, I am having a great time with the BGE--my wife was skeptical, but no longer. I cook on the thing at least three times a week and everything urns out great
    next time I do spares tho I am going to warm it up to 300 for a shorter cook time (been using 250) and see what that's like
    see you later

Kona Tim

• JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    kona tim,
    If your doing them direct then my advice is to NOT kick up the temp that high.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    kona tim,
    Howdy!
    JimW cooked spares at the eggfest with his 300 direct method (see new recipes and he explains his technique). I didn't get a chance to try them, but I heard they were good. More tender than you would expect. [p]I have had best results with 275-300 dome temp over a big drip pan with water for 4-5 hours. Everyone likes them differently, but the most tender ribs IMO are cooked for at least 3 hours. [p]Check out Jim W's recipe if you are looking for quick results. I wish I got to try them.[p]NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ