Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New rutland seal

Options
tember2
tember2 Posts: 4
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have finally replaced the seal on my 10 year old large with a rutalnd Fiberglass style. Installation was a breeze and everything looks fine. Going to fire up the egg tonight to cook chicken etc.... any gotcha's that I need to be aware of before I fire it up?? It is only on the bottom and the top was completely cleaned of the old gasket material.

Comments

• highpress
    highpress Posts: 694
    Options
    no, i can't think of any. I just did mine a couple months ago? i hit the gasket with a torch all the way around to burn off any loose fibers then did like a 350-400* burn for a couple hours just to kind of break it in. Other than that i didn't do anything special...
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I waited 24 hrs. Don't know if that was necessary, but I had no problems.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Can you get the Rutland gasket at any hardware store? What should I be looking for (part #, etc.)? Thanks.
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    nope, after further research, I found this on the naked whiz site.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    BINGO! Now read TNW site and you just might get some more clues!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Right. Tape not rope. Try to find the bulk spool so you can buy per foot. About 80¢ around here. You want to use Permatex UltraCopper as the adhesive (auto parts store or auto section of hardware store).

pACE-984936reg.jpg

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• tember2
    tember2 Posts: 4
    Options
    thanks for the help - gasket/rope is installed and it sealed up the egg like a drum. I have two eggs and this one has not been used for a number of months - could not believe how much moisture it had retained. Black goo everywhere, had to clean it off this morning. Glad I decided to go ahead and burn the charcoal out and let it purge itself.