Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who shops at Aldi?

CrimsonTideGirl
CrimsonTideGirl Posts: 130
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I LOVE Aldi and noticed the other day they have cedar planks for $2.99. I just purchased some at Lowe's the other day for $7.99. I also bought a pork tenderloin for $3.27. They really have some great deals and so far the meat I have purchased from there has been great.

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    We dont have'm here...but in Missouri i know folks who swear by them!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Aldi is the best! And if you buy cedar there, ya know it's safe for cooking
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Just a question G&C, how do you know that stuff is safe? I assume you mean the store on Missouri ave. Not that I've shopped there, but not too many locally.
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Do they sell lump?
  • I have never seen lump, but you never know what they will have as a special. They will have a lot of unique things sometimes. One time they had coffee tables and end tables.
  • Hi M.
    I just assume a big chain store like them would not be selling cedar for any other reason than cooking since they are a grocery, and they would not take liability of not making sure it is untreated cedar. Just MHO
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • I personally only know about the ones in Birmingham, but I have been shopping there for about 2 years and have never had any problems with the meat. You should try it for yourself. It is not fancy at all, you have to bring your own bags and you have to put a quarter in to get a buggy, but you get the quarter back once you return it. The brands are not anything you probably have ever heard of, but they are really good. I buy their Clancy's potato chips for $1.29 a bag, where the same size of Lay's is $3.99.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    There is one in Decatur we have been to a few times. It is too far to go regularly but nice deals at times or when we are over there.
  • misfit
    misfit Posts: 358
    Okay, just asking, thanks. IRB huh?
  • hornhonk
    They opened one a few miles from my house, but I haven't checked them out yet. I guess it's time I did. Thanks.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I'm a fan of Aldi. I have purchased dry goods, produce, milk, & butter but never meat. Maybe I will give it a try.
  • PattyO
    PattyO Posts: 883
    I went once to the local Aldi's when it opened about five years ago and didn't return until last year when some women at my gym told me it changed. I didn't see a difference. The shelf life of their produce is nano seconds. If you don't eat it on the ride home it will be rotten when you get there. I think they buy what is removed from the shelves at other markets. Be very careful with perishables. The canned and packaged goods are their own name and I think inferior quality. I do use "generic" from Walmart, so I'm not against no-name, but I won't buy theirs. I haven't tried their meat but can't imagine it's the best grade. Read your labels for preservatives and "flavor enhancers" which means pumped full of salt water.
    PattyO
  • EggSimon
    EggSimon Posts: 422
    Aldi was founded in Germany.

It was the first real discounter, and we have a lot of them over here.

The most things I´ve bought at Aldi was proper, but the portfolie is limited. That´s the reason why I mostly shop at another supermarket.
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    The few times I have been to one they had spiral cut hams at $1.49/lb have bought a few and cooked ala Egret. Great flavor.

PLATED-2.jpg
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Frisco has one......
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • I started shopping at Aldi after a friend raved over their prices. She brought some chips over that I would have swore were Cape Cod, for about 1/3 the price of Publix.

They are not manufacturing the food, rather just putting it in their own packaging. I bought a bunch of stuff for $15, and I swear I saved $10 over what I would have paid at Publix.

Some examples:
    hot dog/hamburger buns .79 cents
    chips $1.29
    4 pack saltine crackers .85 cents
    46 oz. can tomatoe juice $1.19
    17 oz. olive oil $3.99
    3 roll 2 ply paper towels $1.79
    salt/pepper/sugar/flour - dirt cheap

I haven't tried the meat, but the staples are fine and the price is right.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    You have to read the labels. Most of the canned goods have way TOO MUCH salt in them. I do but their fresh produce. They have a good Mozzerela ball really cheap
    Just be careful on the salt content.
  • Chubby
    I guess that's pretty close to Plano...ey?
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    not close enough, cause plano has an aldi too.
    none in Denton tough.....go figure
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Chubby
    Nuff Said...

Everything's better in Plano!!
  • hornhonk
    And it's darn near walking distance from the Plano Outlaw Gathering site. ;)
  • SWOkla-Jerry
    SWOkla-Jerry Posts: 640
    I make an Aldi's run once every 2 months for the staples we buy there. They save us quite a bit of money on canned and dry goods, haven't tried there meats, but cheese and other dairy is really cheap. Anyway we've been using Aldi's since I lived in OKC over 5 yrs ago. So, we make a booze run and an Aldi's run to OKC every other month, also a lump run to Crest Foods for Ozard Oak, but I just heard they quit carrying it :(
  • McPhreak
    McPhreak Posts: 42
    I buy a couple of items from Aldi from time to time. Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    McPhreak wrote:
    Aldi and Trader Joe's are owned by the same company.

Ah, that explains a lot. I don't like either one. Aldi i a mile away, TJ's about 25. One visit each was more than enough.

I rarely buy house brand anything - too often disappointed so I gave up. Since Aldi is nothing BUT house brands, one quick walk thru was plenty.

As for TJ's, I had no idea what to expect, but given their location (high rent district), I "assumed" it would be a high end store. Wrong. Bought pizza dough and some mozz on my one trip. Won't be back there either.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Bacchus
    Most of the Aldi house brands are the same as name brands, made right alongside in same facilities.

Trader Joe's is awesome!
  • Carolina Q
    Bacchus wrote:
    Most of the Aldi house brands are the same as name brands, made right alongside in same facilities.

Trader Joe's is awesome!

Ok, so recommend some stuff from Aldi's. It's close, so maybe I'll give 'em a try. Though, from PattyO's comments, it sounds like produce is out. :lol:

As for TJ's, I am rarely in their neighborhood and I doubt I'll make a special trip.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pattikake
    pattikake Posts: 1,175
    I shop at Aldi's we love there Applewood Ham's not to sugary or salty. We have tried other things to not to bad.

Patti
    Wichita, KS
  • Bacchus
    Ive bought their dry cereals, fruit bars(nutri grain type), pasta, veg oil, etc.
    Their brand of southwestern goods is really good. Corn & Flour tortilla's, salsa's, etc..
    They also have good fresh peppers alot of times it seems. Bell, Poblano, Jalepeno... I recently bought a large sack of Vidalia onions for $2 I think it was.
    Got some mini frozen pizza's for my daughter which she liked.
  • Carolina Q
    Thanks, bud. I'll give 'em a try. They are actually closer than any other grocery store in the neighborhood anyway.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut