Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm such a dweeb........Help please

Options
Sandi
Sandi Posts: 107
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, I am assembling what I need to my new BGE. I keep seeing "firebrick" mentioned. Called the local grill store and asked if they had any...they have NO CLUE as to what I'm asking for. So, what IS a firebrick and in the event I can't find one, is there something I can substitute for one. OR...anywhere on line I may purchase one? Thanks in advance to all of you wonderful helpful people!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Sandi,[p]No dweeb, just an egger who wants all of the "stuff" that they can have for the egg, no harm in that at all. A fire brick is a brick that are used to line fireplaces etc. They are heat resistant bricks. They come in at least 2 sizes, one about an inch thick and the other about 2 inches thick, they are the size of a normal brick otherwise. There may be other sizes than this, not sure.[p]I use the firebrick to create an indirect heat setup for the egg. I place two bricks flat on the grill next to eachother, then I place 2 bricks on edge on the ends of these, forming a "U" out of the bricks |__| . I then have a drip pan that I place in the "U" portion |__| of the bricks and I place a second grill on the top edges of the bricks that are standing on edge. This allows me to place the meat on the grill, over a drip pan and cook it indirectly rather than directly over the fire. The grease from the meat will drip into the pan eliminating flare ups that may occur and allows me to put liquid int he pan if I want to as well. Good setup for low slow cooks.[p]Where you can get them is always a question. Call a place that sells brick, they should be able to get them for you. I got mine at a chimney shop here in town, no local brick places carried them. I've never seen them at a Lowes or a Home Depot, they give you that RCA dog look when you ask them about a fire brick. I paid a buck each for the small brick and a little more for the thick ones if I remember correctly.[p]Checkout Tim M's website or maybe Gfw's, I think they each have a picture of their bricks and their indirect setup, it will make more sense after you see how it looks.[p]Troy
  • MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Sandi,
    First of all you are not a DWEEB. Just new and here to learn as all of us have been at one time. Except for a few who have been here since the beginning of time and been Qing since they were kids. These people are a GRRR...ATE help to all and continue to be. Fire bricks are used in the construction of Masonry Fireplaces and can be found in establishments that sell bricks, blocks and masonry type articles. There are thick ones, tapered ones and thin ones. You need about six of the thin ones. They run about a Buck a piece +/-. they are used for indirect cooking. You can check Tim M. site for explainations of these. Have a good time withe the best grill wou will ever own. your friend has good taist in grills.[p]MAC

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Sandi, I'm a fellow newbie and there are others in this "room" also, so don't worry...the old timers seem real friendly and patient with us. With that said I'll just throw in one other alternative to the fire bricks. The company sells a "plate setter" for about $30...it is only for the large and it has 3 legs to make it more versatile. Click on "new products". The item # is PS-14. Granted you can buy a pile of bricks for the cost of this, but with the pizza stone on top of the plate setter the height is eggactly at the top and you can eliminate the metal grate. Inverted it provides a mass for more indirect heating and the metal grid sits on top. Good luck!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Sandi
    Sandi Posts: 107
    Options
    sprinter,[p]You guys are so GREAT! I called Boral brick and they have the fire brick that is needed. Of course, this was done AFTER I had called the local grill store and ordered the plate. (sigh)live and learn![p]Thanks for all of your help!
  • JJ
    JJ Posts: 951
    Options
    RRP,
    That is all I use, the plate setter and a pizza stone. That takes the place of fire bricks.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandi, you will find a use for both.. My good friend JJ has yet to learn the value of firebricks. :-) His wife Kathy discovered the plate sitter and BGE modified it to fit the contours of the BGE. I have both and the plate sitter is great for pizza and low and slow cooks..as well as are firebricks. Firebricks can be conformed to fit many different aspects of a cook, left only to the imagination of the chef. But mostly used for low and slow firebarriers and for pizza stone supports for pizza and bread baking.
    Your doing fine...Good luck
    Char-Woody[p]

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    Sandi, you will find a use for both.. My good friend JJ has yet to learn the value of firebricks. :-) His wife Kathy discovered the plate sitter and BGE modified it to fit the contours of the BGE. I have both and the plate sitter is great for pizza and low and slow cooks..as well as are firebricks. Firebricks can be conformed to fit many different aspects of a cook, left only to the imagination of the chef. But mostly used for low and slow firebarriers and for pizza stone supports for pizza and bread baking.
    Your doing fine...Good luck
    Char-Woody[p]

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    Sandi,
    That should be the moto of our forum. "live and Learn" without the sigh. Happy Qin"

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    S11_25_9906_24_04.jpg
    <p />Sandi, the only dumb question is the question that isn't asked. Trust me, we've all asked our share of questions.[p]Check out the link for info about firebricks - about $1.25 each - you'll want 5 for the large BGE or 4 for the medium BGE.

[ul][li]Firebricks[/ul]
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Sandi,[p] You can't be a dweeb, you were smart enought to buy an egg.
    Welcome & post anytime you wish.[p] Earl

• TOROLNSTND
    TOROLNSTND Posts: 38
    Options
    Sandi, Any home improvement store will carry firebrick. They are the brick that are used to line the firebox of any fire place or gas or oil furnace. They are available in different thickness but are usually 3x5x2.5 inches. Firebrick is sort of a cream color, its specially fired to completely dry the brick to protect it from cracking or exploding when exposed to high temps (regular red brick will crack and pop very easily, and cement brick will go even at low temps).
  • sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Options
    TOROLNSTND,[p]If you're speaking of Lowes, Home Depot, or any of the other large chains, I have never been able to find them there. I ask them about the firebricks and they give you that RCA dog look and tell you to go somewhere else. Maybe your local stores carry them but around here they are nowhere to be found except at a place that has some specialty in fireplaces or installation. Just my experience in looking, I had a TOUGH time trying to find them locally until I checked with the local chimney sweep, he had a bazillion of them.[p]Troy