Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook.

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am an avid waterfowler and the main reason that I bought my Egg was so that I could make some of this duck and goose meat a little more edible. I love to hunt, but try to give away as much meat as I can.[p]In the past, I would just take the breast and quarter them up, wrap in bacon with a pepper inside and that would turn out OK. I would throw those on my old grill and the meat was tallerable.[p]I was wondering if there are any others out there that have any good ideas for ducks and geese. I am not talking about your store bought stuff. That just tastes differant to me. [p]As far as geese, aka Flying Carp, I was wondering if you could do a couple of large breast like you would a pork butt and cook it low and slow. Put enough bbq on it and it should taste OK I would think???

Comments

• ducks01.jpg
    <p />Duck and Goose???,
    Don't, these guys are my little girls friends. Just joking about don't, I know Darryl has a great recipe and technique.[p]Good Luck,[p]CWM

• Duck and Goose???,[p]I've been cooking duck breast for about 15 years, mind you mallards and dabbling ducks, with great results. Simply marinate the skinned breasts in 1/2 olive oil and 1/2 soy sauce and wrap in bacon. Cook @ 400 F for 5 min. per side for a nice med. rare, otherwise duck will dry out quickly. I plan to use the Dizzy Pig Cow Lick Seasoning this year to enhance the flavor. Also use orange and/or pineapple to compliment. My family compares it to fillet mignon.
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Duck and Goose???,[p]Speaking of nicknames, that's an excellent one. [p]Back in the old days (which were, ironically, were my young days), we had "Duck and Cover". [p]Acknowledging benefit of hind sight, my guess is that "Duck and Goose" would have been immeasurably more fun as we were sitting on the floor out in the central hall of the elementary school, awaiting whatever nastiness the bad guys had sent our way...[p]Bob
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    D & G:[p]Alternatively, try to low and slow them . . .

[/b]
  • Duck and Goose???,
    Try and give it away? Put me on the list !!!! %^)[p]Seriously, duck is a real favorite around here but it
    does take a long time at low temps to render out enough fat to make it edible for most folks.[p]best,
    Dugal

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Duck and Goose???,
    Follow Darryl's link and advice. Works every time!

• Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Duck and Goose???,
    I agree with the lo-n-slo (fatty birds). A duck should take about 4-5 hours at 225-235; a goose may take a spec more. They're done when the leg joint is very loose (or the breast is >165). Enjoy!

• katman
    katman Posts: 331
    Duck and Goose???,[p]I haven't "harvested" wild duck and geese for a long time but my recollection is these guys don't have much fat so I would stick with the bacon approach and do a short, hot cook as opposed to a low and slow.