Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Roast

Options
Chris Marksberry
Chris Marksberry Posts: 9
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received the following question from a brand new BGE owner. I can answer the question about baked potatoes, but I've never done a prime rib roast. I think she's too shy to yet jump into the forum.[p]Also I have a beautiful filet roast (beef) in the freezer and would apppreciate suggestions about doing it on the Egg.[p]Chris in Pearland, TX[p]Forward message:[p]Our son-in-law has built the table to house the BGE and is bringing it from Denton this Saturday. Ambitiously, I want to reward them with a prime rib roast for the evening meal. Have you ever done one and can you tell me approximate cooking time? I haven't bought it yet but am considering bone in since I think all meats are better cooked with the bone even though more trouble carving! Also have you cooked baking potatoes and in so, what's the time on them?

Hope your weather is stable where you are. I have a cousin in Covington, Louisiana and we're keeping close tabs on there.

Thanks, Helen

Comments

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Chris Marksberry,
    DSCN0045.jpg[p]here is how i do them... [p]first, i like bone in (the picture is of a 4 bone in prime rib roast, i have already removed the bone as part of carving the finished roast)[p]set up you egg indirect at 500 degrees (grid over inverted plate setter)[p]i prepare the meat by coating with kosher salt, fresh rosemary and herbs de provence (you can use pepper, or rub of your choice, garlic is great on this cut as well, its up to you)[p]put the roast bone side down directly on the grid. . [p]as soon as you put the roast on, shut the vents down with the goal of getting to 325 - 350 dome temp. . .the time spent between starting at 500 degrees and getting to 325 will provide a great 'sear'. . .[p]figure on 15 minutes per pound for medium rare. . .you want to pull the roast at around 125 degrees internal temp as it will continue to rise while resting. .. [p]let the roast rest for about 15 minutes under a loose foil tent so that the juices distribute nicely. . ..[p]slice and serve. . .[p]its an easy piece of meat to cook with great results so long as you don't over cook it. ..[p]enjoy

• tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Chris Marksberry, Each of us have a differnent twist. some will sear the outside them cook/dwell till done. I do a 'low and slow' first till the meat is 125-130. Then I sea the outside at very high temp to put a nice crust on it. Then I late it sit covered in foil for about 15 minutes then crave.

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I separate the bones from the roast and season, then tie them back together and you get the best of both worlds! I also have found that taking it to 125º was too much. Closer to 120, will get you a much better piece of meat. These things will easily rise 15-20 degrees after pulling from the pit.[p]The last one I did was with some of Chris' beef rub. Good stuff mang! ;-)
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Scottie,
    yea, i know a lot of people here do the removing, then tying the bones back on. .. that goes against my inherent laziness though. . .i also know there is a big fan base for the 'dwell then sear' method. . .i gotta say though, i have done a bunch of em this way and every one has turned out unbelievably good. . .the only thing i'd do different is slit the top and stick cloves of garlic in as well as the herbs, but my wife is alergic to garlic so we skip that one. . .heavily garlicked prime rib is heavenly IMHO. . [p]btw, if you are refering to dizzy cowlick, i agree, it is fabulous on any piece of beef you're cooking . . .

• mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I've just found that it was easier to separate the bones from the meat before it was cooked. MAkes the finished product look that much better too.[p]Yes, Dizzy Cow is good stuff... ;-)

• Aussie_Hugh
    Options
    G'day Max,[p]Nice picture. I like the sound of your method. I have only done one prime rib and went at 450 indirect all the way, like in an oven, and it worked out fine for my liking. Put a leg of lamb in there part way through.[p]What would you suggest for well done? Times per pound and internal temp before pullng from the egg?[p]Thanks,
    Hugh.

• Hi Chris and Helen,[p]Hey, this is great! Let's try and get all the Food/Winos converted to BGE cooking. Perhaps we can all go on Oprah and ask her to distribute free BGEs to the audience.[p]I haven't prepared Prime Rib, but Mad Max gets my vote for foolproof instruction. The only difference (for me) is that I'd poke holes all over the roast and insert lots of garlic slivers. Poor Mrs Rosen. Allergic to garlic...it boggles the mind. Or, it takes my breath away (pun intended).[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• TheRoastBeef.jpg
    <p />Chris Marksberry,
    All good advice in the posts. I've been using vegeta seasoning with cracked peppers & additional garlic powder. This one was removed at 120 internal temp because we like it rare.

• Painter
    Painter Posts: 464
    Options
    Aussie_Hugh,
    Low and slow till 145° would be well done to me without drying out the roast.
    Time wise will depend on size and temp of roast when starting the cook, but approximately 20 minutes per pound at 250° dome.
    I start mine after coming to room temp.
    Bob

• Chris Marksberry
    Options
    Gretl Collins,[p]Fancy meeting you here! I don't think Helen has joined us yet, but hopefully she will soon. Sent her a recipe with a picture (all the pictures make me want to try a prime rib roast... good grief they look wonderful done on the egg). Prime rib is my favorite beef.[p]I've been trying to do my best answering her questions like what is a platter setter. I send her a picture of one.[p]Helen really needs to join the forum (unless of course she's already lurking!)[p]Chris in Pearland, TX[p]And yes let's do convert all the Food/Winos![p][p]