Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dumb question but...What are ABT's

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What the hell are ABT's. [p]Thanks in advance,[p]Bullet Bob

Comments

• Bullet Bob,
    Basically they are bacon wrapped stuffed Jalapeño peppers.[p]Hope this Helps,
    RhumAndJerk

• Luder
    Luder Posts: 31
    Bullet Bob,[p]Stands for "Atomic Buffalo Turds". Good recipe in Eggtoberfest 2003 cookbook on page 12 compliments of the Whiz. Several other ways to make them.
    [ul][li]ABT Recipe on page 12[/ul]
  • 33%3B83%3A2723232%7Ffp66%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A4%3D933%3Dxroqdf%3E2323378967753ot1lsi
    <p />Bullet Bob,
    There are lots of variations but my favorite is to stuff jalapeno's with cream cheese and Little Smokey cocktail sausages, wrap in bacon, pin with a tootpick, cook direct (closed bottom vent) at 350° for about 30 to 35 minutes. Rotate/flip every now and then. [p]Here's what mine look like on the inside.[p]Very tasty. Excellent party snack, especially when cut into smaller toothpick bite size.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• Bullet Bob,
    for a variation on a theme, and for something non-spicey, i take sweet peppers, stuff them with a combination of cream cheese and crab meat, wrap with prociutto, dust with a little dizzypig raging river and cook indirect at around 350 dome temp for about 40 minutes. . .not atomic, not even very turd-like, but still make a great apetizer. .[p]DSCN0444.jpg

• SyraQ
    SyraQ Posts: 95
    Spring Chicken,[p]That's my favorite filling, too. I have cut down the calories somewhat by halving or even quartering the little smokie (depending on the size of the Jalapeno) and I also only use about a 2 inch piece of bacon, placed over the top and secured with toothpick. For my cream cheese mixture, I mix in 2 oz. of grated pepper jack cheese and a liberal sprinkling of Dizzy Dust. Everyone who has had these is a convert, despite the name.[p]
  • Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I was just thinking of using prosciutto instead of bacon for "conventional" ABTs. I've gotten to where I don't care for the greasy taste of bacon and even 1/3 strip per ABT sometimes tastes too greasy to me.
  • Pakak,
    i love the flavor of prociutto. .. it crisps up really nice on these as well. .. i've had conventional abt's done with prociutto and really liked that combination as well. .. [p]go for it. .

• SyraQ,
    I tried some variations I read about on the Forum, along with some of my own ideas, and almost had a rebellion among my eaters. I decided not to do that again. I think I can eat ABT's later on but not while starting out the South Beach Diet. I sure miss them.[p]Spring Chicken

• Pakak
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]I love the taste of prosciutto too, but I don't love the price! Sheesh, that I bought for shrimp this last week cost over $6 for just a quarter pound. Not only that, I underestimated and was short for wrapping about a fourth of the shrimp I had. LOL
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    Spring Chicken,
    Just use low-fat cream cheese (I think it's also called neufchatel or somesuch), substitute Canadian bacon for the regular bacon, and you should be South Beach "Kosher", as it were.[p]How were the cauliflower "mashed potatoes"?[p]Bob

• Pakak,
    yep, around here, good 'parma' runs around $17.00 per pound. . if i were doing something like prociutto with melon i dole out the big bucks. . but for these, and when i make the stuffed rolled flank steaks, i use the stuff i buy at costco (around 8 bucks a pound). . good deal and its plenty tasty. .

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    mad max beyond eggdome, sweet capicloa ham is another good substitute with that flank steak rollup. ive been making alot of brasciole with bottom round sliced about 1/4 inch with the sweet capicola and cheese rolled up, seared and then smoked with plum tomatoes. very tasty

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • yaB,
    The "mashed potatoes" were good. Not great, but good. I can get by on them for the time being.[p]I think I will hold off eating ABT's for a few days or weeks then eat the real thing. I can't eat just one anyway and that much low fat cream cheese would not be good for me at this stage. But thanks for the tip.[p]I'm drinking a lot more water than before. I also substituted green tea for my extra cup of mid-day coffee. I'm going to be one healthy son-of-a-gun when its all over. Well, except for bad eyes, bad knees, short of breath and incontinence.[p]Spring Chicken

• abt01.jpg
    <p />Bullet Bob,
    Chile Grill makes a great stainlees rack to make these awesome little guys in as well.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Bullet Bob,
    You can see a picumentary of the way I make them in the cooks section of my website...HTH[p]Wess

[ul][li]We[/ul]
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    WessB,
    That didnt come out right..here`s the link..[p]Wess

[ul][li]WessB`s[/ul]
  • Pakak
    fishlessman,[p]I hadn't thought of capicola. Might have to try that too. That's about the only thing I miss after living in Rochester NY for 1 1/2 years - the great Italian deli. And hadn't thought of braciole for a long time either! Might have to try rustling up a batch.
  • yaB
    yaB Posts: 137
    > Well, except for bad eyes, bad knees, short of breath and incontinence.[p]Spring Chicken,
    Hey, no one's perfect. ;-)[p]Now that I think about it, the ABTs might not be too bad with a section of a mozzarella cheese stick nestled in the cored pepper half instead of the cream cheese. Wrap in a strip of Canadian bacon, and voila - SBTs (South Beach Turds)![p]Bob

• yaB,
    South Beach Turds!!! That's funny. I think you have come up with something fantastic for the dieters of America.[p]Spring Chicken

• yaB,
    "I don't care who you are... now that's funny!"