Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABT Ramble

yaB
yaB Posts: 137
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was able to buy a couple pounds of freshly-picked jalepeño peppers at a roadside stand on Friday, so decided to try ABTs for the first time over the weekend. These things are definitely habit forming.[p]Now I've got to find a reliable source for the peppers, since the ones they have in the regular grocery stores around here are usually well past the "fresh" stage. Someone suggested that I look in Asian grocery stores. Any other suggestions? The Latino grocery stores I've visited have been small, and didn't carry much in the way of fresh veggies.[p]Since I didn't have any pulled pork until late Sunday, I wasn't able to use that in the ABT stuffing, as many recipes call for. So what I did was mash together low-fat cream cheese and blue cheese (about one-third blue and two-thirds cream) along with some crushed garlic, a good dose of dill weed and toasted sesame seeds, and stuffed the cored jalapeño halves with that mixture. [p]At that point I discovered that the pound of bacon I thought we had on hand had somehow turned into just a few strips. So I sliced the remaining bacon strips into mini-strips maybe an inch and a half to two inches long, and draped one of these over the cheese filling in each pepper half until I ran out of bacon. The ABTs went onto the grill on a rack at about 350, and were looking quite edible after about 30 minutes. [p]Man, they were good. I think using less bacon is not a bad thing, unless of course you're a baco-holic. These "ABT Lites" had a lot of flavor with a bit of jalapeño bite, bacon covered or not. I was surprised that even the toasted sesame seeds' flavor survived, and nothing was overwhelmed by heat from the peppers. I *might* have to make these again... [p]Bob

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    yaB, Another flavor you will probably like is crab cake. Mix up a batch of crab cakes and stuff the ABT's with that. Real good.

• yaB
    sigmore,
    Sounds good, indeed. Do you still use bacon to wrap or cover the crab cake ABTs? [p]I think we've got some frozen Philip's crab cakes in the freezer. It sounds like it would be worth "sacrificing" a couple of those in the name of broadening our ABT horizons.[p]Bob

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    So far as less bacon - I use whole jalapeños, making the ABTs “snocone” style. I only use about 1/3 strip of bacon per a whole jalapeño. When I used more, they were just too greasy for my taste, even when the bacon was very crisp.[p]For another place to find jalapeños, try a Wal-Mart superstore. It very well may be because I live in an area that has a large Hispanic population, but they have the best jalapeños around.

• Pakak,
    Is it best to use fresh or pickled jalapenos?

• Pakak
    Pakak Posts: 523
    I'm not much of a pickled jalapeño fan nor have I ever seen where anyone had used them for ABTs. Course, I spose you could if you wanted! I'd say - use the fresh. Since you're in AZ you should have ready access to them.
  • Pakak, Thanks, thats what I thought..they are plentiful in all the markets here.
  • Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    yaB, Yessiree yaB, still wrap that puppy in bacon, try the Black Label Maple bacon. It sho iz good.

• yaB
    Pakak,
    Thanks for the pointer to the WM superstore. We've got one (last time I checked, maybe two or three by now) in a town about 20 miles away, which also has a significant Latino population. If I can't find decent specimens in one of the Asian or other markets in the communities near where I work (about 20 miles in another direction, also with many Latino folks) I'll definitely check the WM superstore. [p]Bob