Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A few days late, but my first CWM ribs!

Options
Achate
Achate Posts: 39
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I wanted to cook up CWM ribs on Saturday, but ran out of time. So mid-week here I am egging 5 slabs of baby back ribs.

I have never cooked ribs before, not just on the egg, but ever. So of course I was hesitant to try this. Turns out ribs are simple to do, especially if you follow CWM!

I poured yellow mustard all over them, and rubbed 3 slabs with Weber brand chipotle dry rub, and two of them with home spices, like garlic, salt/pepper, etc.

Basically I egged them at 225 for 4.5 hours, while misting them every hour with a 50/50 mix apple juice/apple cider vinegar. I threw in a hand full of apple chips at the beginning.

Then I pulled them off, slathered them with "Sweet Baby Rays" BBQ sauce, and put them back on at 275 for another 45 minutes.

They were great! I will say though, that they were not as tender or fall off the bone, as I was hoping they would be. I think maybe 5 full slabs might have been packed too tight together. The flavor was eggcellent!

Out of the fridge, on the inverted vrack.

P7130413.jpg

Two hours into the cook, and misting with "magic"
P7130415.jpg

Egg'ing along perfectly!
P7130416.jpg

Pulled off the egg and slathered with sauce, before going back on for another 45 minutes.
P7130418.jpg

DONE!
P7130421.jpg

Off the egg, and ready to be sliced up! Didn't last long off the egg!
P7130427.jpg

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    They look sweet!!

I'd say he'd approve!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    Look mightie good.....nice and messy!!! ;) :ohmy:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    Options
    They look great! Events have conspired to prevent me from doing these yet but I will.

You must be a very tidy cook... those gaskets still look brand new!
  • BurntRaw
    BurntRaw Posts: 565
    Options
    That looks good. I am planning on doing the same today.

I don’t post much (at all) but still visit every couple of days to keep up to date and thought I would share a conversation that I had last night.

As I was sitting on the patio sipping a cocktail having just taken the dog for a dip in the pool I looked over at the wife and said “George Steinbrenner died.”

A quizzical look crossed her face and after several seconds I said “the owner of the Yankees.”

She said “oh.”

I then said, “And Car Wash Mike passed.” Her eyebrows rose while she blurted out “FROM THE EGG?”

Very surprised I asked “how would you know that?”

Well, it turns out that back in the day she got on the forum a couple of times (literally probably two times total) and once asked a question and CWM was the one that helped her out.

That was a few years back but it is obvious that it stuck with her. I thought it was pretty special that she would have that reaction to CWM’s passing and not even know who Steinbrenner is.

CWM ribs tonight.
  • kip stabone
    Options
    Looks good to me. If you want them more tender you might want to try the 3-1-1 method. You can Google it and get some pretty good descritpions but essentially you put the slabs on for 3 hours pull them and wrap in foil with a liquid like applejuice, beer, honey, some brown suger, rub, whatever you like and this braises the meat and will give you more of that fall off the bone texture you were looking for. After an hour of being foiled you can eat them or apply some bbq sauce if doing wet ribs and put them directly on the egg.
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Options
    Acahte, you're not late. I'm sure bill will add them to the tally. :)

Those ribs look great. I personally prefer mine to bite off the bone rather than pull off the bone. But as we all know, Mike said the best ribs are the ones you like!
  • tomo
    tomo Posts: 78
    Options
    I was also a few days late, but I followed CWM class on Thirdeye's site and they were marvelous. The wife also agreed and we plan on doing them this way in the future...tom