Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopen or other good thermometer

ThaMav12
ThaMav12 Posts: 27
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a digital thermometer from BBQ Galore, thinking it would give me really instant readings, as it claims to. I've been a little unimpressed by the fact that I am having to hold my hand over the hot fire for a while and just watch it slowly move up.

One of the guys there said to invest in the Thermopen, and was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on it.

Thanks in Advance!

ThaMav12

Comments

• 61chev
    61chev Posts: 539
    great product!!!!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226

One of the first accessories to get, great product for egg'n and non egg cooking. Works great for baking too.

Reading the posts you will find many of the folks have more than one.

GG
  • pci
    pci Posts: 249
    Am new at this but found out very soon in my cooks that I needed a Thermapen. It is worth the money.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    A large percentage of Forum members have Tpens, and love them. They are a little pricey, but worth it.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Welcome to the forum!

Thermapens are great but if you want really fast and accurate the Therma Plus equipped with a Fast Response Meat Probe and a coiled or straight extension lead is probably more then twice as fast. By the time you get the probe in place you have a reading. The company says readings in 2 seconds but I have never had to wait anywhere near that long. I can slide the probe through a piece of meat and instantly read the temperature at any given point. I love it.
    ThermaPluss_500.jpg

Does it cost more? Yup. I figure the BGE, the best smoker/grill, cost so much anyways why worry about the cost of a few of the best tools to go with it. :lol:

Gator

• ThaMav12
    ThaMav12 Posts: 27
    Thank you all for the advice, I really appreciate it!
  • claycamp
    claycamp Posts: 59
    I've had my egg for a year. The Thermopen is the only accessory that I use every time I cook. Pulling a piece of meat at the "right" temp makes all the difference

buy the Thermopen
  • Having an incredibly fast and accurate thermometer is so worth it. I use it every cook and have since began using it to gauge the dome temperature for low and slow cooks with incredible results. Claycamp is right, pulling meat at the perfect temperature makes all the difference in the world. Cooking chicken breasts you can pull them right off at 165* with perfectly cooked and the juiciest chicken you've ever had. Want that perfect ribeye done at medium rare? Thermapen delivers every time! So in short get a thermapen!
  • kricks
    kricks Posts: 244
    A digital thermometer is one of the most important accessories you can have. I use this one. Its half the price of a thermopen and fast. The range is limited to 350 though. Not a problem for anything on the egg so it works great.

http://www.comarkltd.com/product.tpl?product_id=164
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    buy one you won't regret it.... i use it to check air conditioning duct temps.... i use it to torture bar owners( "hey.... this beer's not cold enough! ") lol.... i can tell when my gf's in the mood( can't discuss the details on here).... use it for checking water temps of streams when fishing... when eating out i use it taunt the chef..... he get's jealous cause he only has a cheapo lol..... it impress' women on first dates when you're cooking for 'em at home .... it's money well spent! .... rr
  • ranger ray
    ranger ray Posts: 812
    oh... forgot to mention.... good for know when baked potatoes are done.... no more guess work...
  • Cruezn
    Cruezn Posts: 317
    I'm with everyone else. Get a thermopen.