Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

pulled pork question

Options
the butcher
the butcher Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I think my pulled pork is taking way too long. I setup my egg with the indirect place setter, set the digiq to 235 and but a 8-9lb pork butt with bone in with a mustard slather and rub. it took close to 22 hours to get to 195-200. Now the pulled pork was great but my bbq books all have much lower time periods for cooking. I was thinking that maybe i would do it without the place setter next time and just put the drip pan down on the coals....anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Yep. Don't do that. :)

Use the plate setter. Bump up the dome temp to 250°. You'll be fine. It could take as long as 2 hrs per lb.

And - welcome to the madness!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Hi T.B.
    You want ceramic in betwen the fire and meat. I personally use a 12" clay pot saucer and have for years as it was available, and less $ than a place setter in the 90's when I was young and poor. I bought a disposable 12" drip pan to go with my 12" clay saucer on my small BGE and with the VRack was doin Butts like a pro. Usually a Butt needs 1-1 1/2 hours per pound when doing low & slow at 225-250 depending on weather, wind, amount of lump, if BGE is opened, etc. etc. Try to keep shut the BGE after putting Butt on with full load of lump and keep at 225 or so. An 8-9lb'er should be done in 10-12 hours. Let us know how you do on next Butt and post some pic's
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Tough to reach 200 degrees when you are cooking a couple degrees above that. Bump the dome up to 250.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Butcher, listen to Celtic Wolf. He has cooked more butts in a DAY than you or I will likely cook in a lifetime. No exaggeration.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Maybe not a day... :woohoo:
  • the butcher
    Options
    sounds good well I'll give it a go again. The pulled pork i did turned out fantastic just would like it to not take so long. The weekend i was doing it, i had a lot of people over so its entirely possible that maybe people were peeking. I'll have to keep a closer eye on it.
  • Big Knife
    Big Knife Posts: 35
    Options
    Maybe you just need a lock on your Egg? :laugh:
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    In addition to the 250 dome, "not peeking" is very important. Opening the dome will increase your cook time considerably. My secret is every time I am tempted to look I go get another beverage. Works every time! :P

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • LABdawg
    LABdawg Posts: 25
    Options
    I'm new as well TB. Here in the deep south, I've been "buttin'" in 90* heat. It takes me 1& 1/2 hours/lb on the 4 to 5 lb butts I've been cooking every weekend. On my DigiQII I attach the grill thermometer to the rack the butt is set on. I place a 14 inch diameter x 6" high old charcoal bowl on the BGE grill surface. On That I have another rack which the butt sits on and the thermometer probe is clamped. I'm cooking at 235 with a full fire box of lump, but started with just a few lumps fired up in a chimney starter.
  • thirdeye
    thirdeye Posts: 7,428
    Options
    Where are you putting your pit probe? I use several different cookers and knowing the actual pit temp is the key.

On my large Egg with a 250° actual, my 8 pound butts come right in at 16 hours on the pit, and 2 hours or so resting. Here is the set-up I use.... the pit probe is about 2" above the meat.

DSC00539a-1.jpg
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Check your dome thermometer in boiling water and it should be 210 +/- you can adjust the nut on the back till you nail it. My originals have been off by 60-70 degrees. that would slow things down.