Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Heat w /wo plate setter

gfc110660
gfc110660 Posts: 2
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi, new to the egg, have made burgers (got a bit burnt first time on the cast grill but OK, Made Chicken last night as per cookbook w/exception of had to have plate setter legs up as chicken was too bag for dome in large vertical, but came out delicious.
Question is will temp readings be the same and achieved in the egg w and w/o the plate setter? For the Chicken t said maintain temp @400 w/o plate setter, when I opened and put plate setter back in temp went to 225-250, opened both daisy and bottom damper and got to 315, cooked in the right amount of time about 2 1/4 hrs for a 6.5 lb chicken.
I want to make Pizza this week and don't know if there is a problem or all is OK. Did stir the lump etc and it was only the 2nd time cooking

Thanks

Comments

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    The plate setter obviously restricts air flow so it will mean it will take longer to heat up the egg, but I've had my egg over 600 with the plate setter in place.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    Pizza, get temp to about 450-500. Place placesetter legs down. Pizza Stone on place setter. If you are placing pizza in a grid rack, place the 3 feet you received on stone rack on feet. Gives you alittle air space. Depending on your recipe 450 for about 12-15 minutes. Do not peek !!! If you must peek ,grab falshlight on look from the top. Need recipe there are hundreds of recipes posted over the years. good Luck.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hi gfc, Welcome to the forum!

Your fine, the temperature will plummet if you put a cold plate setter in a heated egg. You put a large piece of cold meat in the egg it is going to do the same thing. If you put the plate setter in when you light the egg it will heat up with everything else and you will not see the drop in temperature, this is what most people do. Once heated up the plate setter has no effect on the temperature of the egg, the egg will achieve the same temperature as if it didn't have it, it just might take a few more minutes to get there. Because of the added mass of the plate setter the egg will also take longer to cool down.

Gator

• gfc110660
    gfc110660 Posts: 2
    Thanks to all, Tomorrow Brisket, next week Pizza.
    Appreciate the help