Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Internal Temp for CWM Ribs?

Options
Gator Bait
Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum

I was wondering if anyone has internal temps for Mikes Baby Back's? I have never cooked rib's before and would like to have a clue.

Thanks in advance,

Gator

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Gator, I am with ya on this. I have never cooked ribs either, as I am not a rib kinda girl! But this weekend, I will become one!

I have read alot about it in the last 2 days, and there is never a temperature mentioned. More of a pulling back from the bones, a bend test, and a toothpick test kinda thing.

I have faith that yours will turn out well with all of your cooking experience. Not too sure about mine!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Florida Grillin Girl wrote:
    Not too sure about mine!

Faith

Aw, come on, Faith! With the stuff I've seen you cook, you KNOW your ribs will be perfect! ;)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Molly, I'll take that to mean no! I had a hunch that might be the answer. :laugh:

Blair

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Hey Michael, I say that same thing to Gator!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • cookn biker
    Options
    You'll be fine. Funny we all preach to temp for all cooks but this one..hahaha
    CWM ribs are dead on!!
    Missed much!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks for the confidence Faith, I know your rib's are going to be the finest. Talk about the cooking experience! I'm often in awe of your cooks. I'm still drooling over your Coquille St. Jacques. :cheer:

I'm pretty confident we can follow Mike's directions to the letter and do great. I have two packages of ribs, if the first one doesn't come out great I have a back up. If they do come out great, I still cook the second package and eat twice as well. I don't see how I can loose. :laugh:

Gator

• Roll Tide
    Roll Tide Posts: 505
    Options
    It is tough to get an accurate internal temp for ribs, because of the close proximity of rib bones. If your therm is touching a bone it will render your efforts useless. Therefore, the bend test and the bone pulling out as Mike describes is a good gauge.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    LOL - I have never cooked ribs to my satisfaction... but then, somehow I've never followed Mike's method. Tomorrow's the day - for a lot of us! Just got back from the store with my ribs - sure wish I had remembered the apple juice. :blush: It's ok, they are open tomorrow.

You, Gator and I will be just fine. :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Get outa Dodge :ohmy: Never?

When they flomp over your tongs as you pick them up from the end of the rack, they're done. Sauce'em and let that set for 15-20 minutes on the egg and your golden. Never temped ribs, but I'll bet they get to 190-195.
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Faith,

You crack me up. :P You cook everything under the sun and sunsets too. :laugh:

The aromatics make it worth every minute for me. :)
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I'm not worried . . . yet. With all of Mike's experience I'm sure his directions are spot on. I'm looking forward to this. Mike's ribs might have to become a habit. :)

Blair

• cookn biker
    Options
    Heck yes!! Eggspecially on the July 4th!!
    He had so many to talk to.....??
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Gator Bait
    Options

I tried a brisket . . . once, but you'll never see any pictures of it or hear me mention it. It resembled a hockey puck more than dead cow. :sick:

I believe practice makes perfect Adam. I have two packages of ribs, plenty of lump, apple and cherry chunks, apple juice and cider vinegar, spray bottle, mustard, plenty of sauce, good supply of rub and the whole weekend (and longer if needed). That and our weather is supposed to be improving from dam hot and swampy to just dam hot. :laugh:

I'm good to go.

Gator

• Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    Options
    I use the tong method, but I have checked ribs that passed the tong test and the temp has been 190-200.
  • FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Gator,I was fortunate to be Mike's sous in Atlanta so got the one on one rib class. I joked with him often about how everyone was constantly flipping, cutting, serving etc,,, with different dishes he would start his ribs and relax for 3 hours then only get up every 20 minutes to spritz. He laughed and said "you finally figured that out". While I'm not the master if I can help you at all give me a hollar.

100_3993.jpg
  • cookn biker
    Options
    :)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Passing down the knowledge! Keeping his memory alive!
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Pat, I'm ready to learn and the best way to do that is by doing. I'm taking yours and Mike's advice and relaxing. I'm going to get an early start and try and dodge some of our tropical heat and thunderstorms. If you see smoke signals far to the southwest you'll know it's me. ;)

Gator

• Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Grumps, I will be working on getting the hang of the tong method, this is the kind of practice I can live with! It is funny how this is probably the one cook where a thermometer is not always practical. It's time to learn some of the art of grilling and to set aside the science. Your temperatures correspond to what I have been guessing and what I think Adam has said. They are about what you would expect for just about any other pork low n' slow.

Gator

• Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    Options
    I cooked two racks yesterday afternoon/evening on my large BGE,following the CWM method.

I did all prep work and got the egg burning 225 for a good 45min before putting ribs on at 2:30pm.
    I did the misting every hour or so with the vinegar/water mix.
    After 4.5 I decided to mop with sauce and finish for a half hour.

I think I needed another good hour of cook time....the wife was pressing to finally eat dinner....I knew that they were not passing the "bend in half" test.
    they were edible....but not quite as tender as I would have liked.

Like CWM said, 'don't get discouraged if they are not perfect the first time.'
    I can't wait to try them again.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks for the report Jack, I put 6 half racks on my medium egg at about 11:00 this morning and just gave them their first spray. They are looking good! I have my dome at about 220º and my grate at 200º. My DigiQ holds it steady as a rock!

I'm still single and got an early start this morning. My only concern might be over cooking them but I'm not going to worry till I have very good reason. ;)

Gator

• Vol Jack
    Vol Jack Posts: 35
    Options
    Bait, I would just make sure they passed the bend test.

you could also experiment with different times...since u r doing so many racks.
  • Gator Bait
    Options

Thanks Jack, 2.5 hours in and they are looking good. Where all ribs are not created equal it will be an acquired art learned from practice. I'm going to enjoy practicing. ;)

Gator