Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cookin Chicken

Chief
Chief Posts: 154
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just picked up my Large BGE with everything but the kitchen sink..they didn't have one that said BGE. Wondering the best way to cook the chicken to convince my wife the investment I made is worth it.

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Chief,
    Check out the recipe section. Try Cat's recipe, or a beer-butt chicken. JCA

• Chief,
    I tried I combination of Brant's beer-butt and Cat's mustard honey. It was by far the best chicken I have ever had. We used the brine from Brant's and cooked according to Cat's. It was wonderful.

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    chicken2.jpg
    <p />Chief,[p]If you do chicken breasts go fast and hot - 300-320 deg for 40 min. You van add sauce for the last 45-1 hr. It's hard to goof up chicken breasts. If you watch the internal temp and grill them hot - they won't dry out and you'll be surprised how juicy they are.[p]You can always do ribs - the Egg is a rib champ! Ribs are not a good choice for a first cook though. I suggest grilling since its easier to get 300 deg for 40 min than holding 225 for 3.5 hrs. BTW, 300-320 deg is bottom vent open 3-4" and the daisy just a little closed.[p]Post what you choose and how you plan to cook it and someone will let you know if your plan is on tract.[p]Another thought, my wife didn't like all the smokey taste I added when I was learning the Egg. Go easy at first - in fact, I would avoid all wood for the first couple cooks. The lump itself adds a little and that may be enough.[p]Tim
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Chief,
    Hope I'm not late with my 2 cents worth but on my first try I got too fancy and goffed a little. THe next time (the next night) I got a 6lb. Perdu washed it salthered it with just plain butter and a little paperika put the puppy on the vert. roaster and plunged the Polder into the breast and waited. The lump imparts just enough flavor and the chicken was soooo moist.
    Good luck and looking forward to finding out how you make out.

• bdavidson
    bdavidson Posts: 411
    Chief,
    Gotta agree with Mrs. Dog and Big Cat...nothing beat a Beer Butt chicken. Check out Brant's recipe in the poultry recipesection above.

• Billy
    Billy Posts: 68
    Tim M,
    Excellent suggestion on the smoke. I wish I would have known sooner. I just got my egg a week ago, and just like you said, my wife says she is sick of the smoke taste already. Guess I'll just use it as an oven for awhile with no wood.
    Billy

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Billy,[p]Some things go good with the smoke - like pork but I avoid all wood for turkey and chicken. Just the oak lump taste is perfect for most things I cook. Enjoy![p]Tim