Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Mornin' All...QUICK help needed

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first slow and low last night with a brisket and a pork butt. I put my meat on at about 10:00 pm with my fire stabilized at 230. I just checked it at 6:30 am and it is at 200. Should I let it go at this temp or should I start some more coals and add them.[p]Thanks In advance,[p]Bullet Bob

Comments

• Bullet Bob,
    Open your vents and see if your temp will come up ,if not add more coal. You should have enough coal if you filled it to the top of the fire box. You may have just cooled down from poor air flow. After you put the meat on did it stay at 230 or did it drop then. You probly may of had to open the vents alittle right after the meat was put on.The next best thing is the Guru does not let that happen.I am cooking since 6pm last night at 225 and it is perfect this morning. I have my wife taking the meat off later while I'm at work. Trusting your Guru and loving my wife or should it be the other way around?

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    Bullet Bob,[p]Is the charcoal spent or has the fire just cooled down a bit?
    How much lump did fill in the egg before you put on the meat?[p]You may just need to open up the vents to feed the fire and raise your temp....... if that's the case, you'll be fine to bring it up to 250 or 275 dome temp to get the meat cooking.[p]John

• jackie,[p]Thanks for the info, I opened my vents but the temp seams stuck at 200. I guess I will add a few coals. Also, I am a little nervous my temp gage is right, I never calibrated it since I got it a couple of weeks ago.[p]Thanks again,[p]Bob

• I take a bent coat hanger and either go up thru the bottom vent or down by the grill after raising the dome. I stir the ashs around and this will open up the air flow and raise the temp sometimes.
    Good Eggin to You!!
    Poppasam

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    Poppasam,[p]Yeah that's what I find, it often just needs a stir. I find the coat hanger to be a little wimpy but I sneak my ash tool down in there.
    If you put enough coals in the first place. It sounds like maybe you didn't. You should start with a full firebox.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ
  • WooDoggies,[p]I just added a few pieces of hot lump. There was plenty of lump left in there. I am not sure why I couldn't get it back up but now I am good to go at about 250. Thanks for the help.[p]Bullet Bob

• WooDoggies
    Bullet Bob,[p]Nice! Let us know how your first low and slow turns out..... better yet, post some pictures. :~)[p]John

• WooDoggies
    drbbq,[p]What's for lunch at the headquarters?
  • jackie,
    I don't know about trusting the wife. I would call her and remind her about pulling off the meat.:)[p]usa doug

• Wino
    Wino Posts: 69
    WooDoggies,
    Yes what is for lunch. Will be down there around noon to restock on lump and DP rubs and see what the good Dr. has on the grill.
    Looking forward to meeting you Dr.
    Wino

• drbbq
    drbbq Posts: 1,152
    WooDoggies,[p]Pork chops, sausage, a big pork roast and some lamb shanks for an afternoon snack. The weather HERE looks beautiful.
    [/b]
    Ray Lampe Dr. BBQ