Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cowboy Lump!! 10hr.grillin+5hr.lo-n-slo

sirlancealot
sirlancealot Posts: 506
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This stuff is good, I grilled for 10hrs. with a breather here and there (various meats), and still had enough for a 5hr. lo-n-slo cook. When that was finished it was very little left. I filled it up to the top of the fire ring though.

I have been very pleased with cowbow lump. I"ve tried Royal Oak maybe twice but never pushed it that far. Is RO. better than cowboy? just wondering...

Comments

• denser, not 'better', unless you want denser lump.

cowboy is quick to high heat, because it is generally lighter. RO is a little denser (though not as dense as Wicked Good or even the Frontier stuff I have had lately. Those, being denser, will burn longer at high temps, but can take a while to get there.

likewise, denser lumps can generally burn longer at lower temps, too. But I cannot think of something that takes so long to cook that Cowboy can't do it too. overnighters are just as easy with one charcoal as another IMNSHO.

Charcoals are a little different, and once you know their personalities, you can sorts adjust a little to play up their strengths or overcome their weaknesses.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    10hrs isn't a long time for a single load of lump. Some have gone well in excess of 24hrs.
    Re Cowboy, I have used it and while it is not my fave, I don't particularly have anything against it.
  • sirlancealot
    I Know what you mean, Now u just reminded me of why i went back to cowbow after i tried RO. Because it took a lot longer to get up to temp. with royal oak (for me), and i get real impatient when i"m ready to cook.

It cooked fine though but i just don"t like lump that take a long time to get there.
  • sirlancealot
    Bacchus, what is your fav. lump?
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I used it for a butt and some ribs this past weekend. Started cooking at 11 and it was still going after 12 hours with no drop in temp. The charcoal was getting a bit low so I re-loaded, but it would have kept going a few more hours easy. IF you wait that long it's harder to get the next batch of lump to fire to continue at a steady temp.

As others have said. It's not the best, but it works.

Just more available than others for me.
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    I have used alot of BGE/RO having stocked up before prices arose. I guess that being the most predictable is my favorite. I used Wicked Good and was not impressed. Also I had one of the generic 50# brown bags that was perfectly good lump and was cheap. Wish I could find more of it.
    Recently I procured a bag of "Ono" which is supposed to be good stuff....looking forward to trying it.
    In short, none stand out as really good, but there are some not so good ones out there for sure. Definately stay away from Royal Oak from South America.
  • sirlancealot
    I"m open to hear, what is better than Cowboy Lump?
  • rogersab
    rogersab Posts: 17
    Cowboy lump isn't bad. I liked BGE - but the bag I had had quite a bit of dust and shards in it. Couldn't been a bad bag. The Cowboy bag I had seemed to have more lump but it wasn't "naturally occuring" lump - it was most definitely flooring scrap as evidenced by the tongue-in-groove. The bag said unfinished so it was probably raw, but it was scrap - no doubt.

I'm still finding my sweet spot. I tried Wicked Good and can't claim to have had any of the issues others have. Lit easy, burned well (perhaps a little hotter than I'm use to) and lasted long. I'll give BGE another shot, despite being annoyed at the fact that more than have the bag was broken pieces, shards and dust.

Cowboy is easy to find in my area and it seems to get the job done.
  • sirlancealot
    I"ve never tried Bge lump it just cost to much around here like 24.00 a bag. and cowboy 14.00 a bag.
  • 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I got a bag of Humphrey's lump when I bought my egg and really liked it. The only locally available lump, though, is Cowboy from Lowes. I've been using it for about 2 years and have had good luck with it. I did a back to back smoke (butt then chucks) last year and had it going 36 hours straight and had to reload after about 18 or so hours. Still had some left when I pulled the chucks off. I recently ordered 120# of Humphrey's from the factory. (about 2 hours away) It is definitely denser, and I can see this lump going a long way. I smoked a butt for almost 20 hours, and still had a lot of lump left. I've topped it off twice since the smoke, and actually want to burn the rest of it just so I can clean it out. I have to agree with what someone said above about knowing the strengths and weaknesses. I know that the cost of the Humphrey's was a little less than the Cowboy at Lowe's, but it's lasting quite a bit longer, so I think it's a pretty good value.