Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a Small chip

Options
cookingdude555
cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I removed my dome and bands tonight to begin applying a new gasket on my Small egg. Once the bands came off, I noticed this on the front of the egg

IMG_10411.jpg

I know this wont affect my cooking, but I was concerned that the chip would get worse over time and compromise the base since it is at a point of higher pressure with the band on it. Have any of you experienced this before? What did you do to correct it?

I should note that the egg is only about four months old, the gasket went very quick, and I think the melted gasket getting in between the band and the base could have played a part in this.

Comments

• Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    That is under the band, you are fine. I have had my large for 14 years, and it has a few of those chips around here and there - I have seen no ill effects of heating or cooking. Plus when you put the band back on, you won't even be able to see it. Egg on!

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Grillin & Chillin
    Options
    Do you see any cracks going left or right or towards the inside? If not I would not be to concerned. I have used JB Weld to repair BGE's before so if it concerns you fill the void with JB and smooth best you can.
    BGE'er since 1996 Large BGE 1996, Small BGE 1996, Mini BGE 1997
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Thanks Faith and grill/chill. I didnt see any cracks around the area, so I think it is just a surface wound. I also found the missing chunk glued to the band when I went to put them back on. That thing is not coming off, no wonder it peeled it off when the band came off. I just matched it back the best I could after the gasket install, and put it all back together.

IMG_1043.jpg
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Cookingdude...Wouldn't hurt to make sure you have the photos and dates backed up on a disk. Should it get worse, you have the documentation for warrantee. I wouldn't suspect it would get any worse...but it doesn't hurt to have the back-up. Truly...looks pretty cosmetic, but better safe than sorry.
  • grillmandan
    grillmandan Posts: 270
    Options
    I have a few of those on my 15 year old egg. A green majic marker hides them well!