Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Heat resistant grill gloves

smoker62
smoker62 Posts: 80
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What do you recmmend for a good pair of gloves? I bought the ones at Menards that are white knit . Says they are heat resistant to 450 or something. They are ok but not great. For removing the grid and plate setter during cooks I need a good set of gloves to handle the heat. M welding gloves do not insulate.

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Why do you need to remove the plate setter DURING a cook?

The welding gloves I bought at Lowe's lets me take apart my EGGS after a cook without me getting burned.. Yes I said EGGS.. By the sixth one I do start to feel the heat, but I don't get burned.
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    I use these http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1791196&kw=bbq+gloves&origkw=bbq+gloves&searchId=49264434613 and like them very much. When I remove the plate setter so I can go direct for some char I have a place ready for it and as I don't have much time before my hands start to get hot. As long as you are quick and prepared you will be fine.
    Jupiter Jim

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• chrono
    chrono Posts: 177
    Maybe some high heat gloves for the job .. good for 2000 degrees!

Tillman high heat gloves

&nbsp
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    I'm with Celtic Wolf. I bought a pair of welding gloves from Home Depot for $15. Not bad since I lit my egg and had it going for 30 min. after I forgot to add the platesetter legs up. Removed the cooking grid and put platesetter on fire ring. No heat and didn't burn my clothes.

Stef in Brunswick,Oh.
  • smoker62
    Celtic Wolf wrote:

The welding gloves I bought at Lowe's lets me take apart my EGGS after a cook without me getting burned.. Yes I said EGGS.. By the sixth one I do start to feel the heat, but I don't get burned.

After an indirect cook I sometimes change to do some brats , burgers etc. I need to remove my plate setter while hot. The welding gloves work ok for the grid but the ceramics not so much. You have to be quick qith the stone. I have my egg going all day o pool weekends and yes I do switch from indirect to direct depending on whats cooking. Is it wrong. :whistle:
  • smoker62
    Celtic Wolf wrote:

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Smoker...We do the same thing as far as removing the setter, say we cook a chicken indirect then want to grill some corn or veggies direct. And no, it certainly isn't 'wrong'....just a bit challenging. :) Perhaps check your local home store for a thicker pair of welders gloves. Ours do the trick. Orcas are also good, though I find them too bulky.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    I have a pair of leather ones from the BBQ Guru. They work well. I have to assume a pair of welding gloves could be better though. That's a good idea. Thanks.
  • smoker62
    Little Chef wrote:
    Smoker...We do the same thing as far as removing the setter, say we cook a chicken indirect then want to grill some corn or veggies direct. And no, it certainly isn't 'wrong'....just a bit challenging. :) Perhaps check your local home store for a thicker pair of welders gloves. Ours do the trick. Orcas are also good, though I find them too bulky.

Thanks Little Chef, if your doing it also its gotta be ok. I just do the spur of the moment cooks. We can be pulling off some ribs, Spatchcocks or something in direct. Sitting by the pool and my nephews drop over, hey lets do some wings and abts . No problem , let me take off the platesetter and were good to go. You never know whats going on around my house come pool time. I light the grill early and its on all day ready for who ever brings something to cook. Some times it sits at 225 empty for hours waiting for another job. :woohoo:
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    what is this? U R no longer using my nasty ones from the Cmp Lejeune cook.
  • Celtic Wolf
    hahahaha I am not even sure where they are anymore..
  • Steeler Fan
    Steeler Fan Posts: 395
    R U cooking in Greenwood next week?
  • Celtic Wolf
    No.. I'll be cooking in Greensboro :-)

For some Army folks