Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Fireworks Pics (Heavy)

bitslammer
bitslammer Posts: 818
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Another 4th come & gone and everyone still has all their fingers, toes and eyes. A few may have singed a littel hair though. Had fun taking the pics again.

Here's a link to the full set if you're interested.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/norrisc/sets/72157624427047598/

Here's the "business end" of the 6" Guns.4/per rack with timers in between each shell.
4763808227_140e153c06_b_d.jpg

This is what goes in those tubes. The little red "cap" on top is called a comet. It gives this shell that silver streak as it goes up in the air as the sparks are released in flight.
4764446262_f69881dd12_z_d.jpg

Here we go!!
4764450134_9cec73ff2b_z_d.jpg

Notice the proper stance. Keep low, head down, don't look at the guns!
4764453150_012cb09694_z_d.jpg

This is why you dont' look! Got very lucky (as in lucky to get the photo) in catching a shot when one of the 6-inch guns broke. Nobody hurt and at the time nobody saw anything and we didn't even notice until we were breaking things down.
4764455720_85d8305589_z_d.jpg

I decided to lay down and shoot a couple right overhead with slow exposure.
4763819109_a0f156c4f3_z_d.jpg

Another.
4763820243_6f6cb867a1_z_d.jpg

And here goes the grand filnale.
4764460198_a1b19fea73_z_d.jpg

Comments

• Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Nice pics Chris! Thanks for posting, I'll talk to you later in the week :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Outstanding Chris! Great job. I was eager to do the same but hadn't planned early enough and when it was time couldn't talk myself into facing the traffic and crowds. My bad. What is your camera and how did you have it set? I would like to get out and photograph some lightening this summer when opportunity knocks. It should be similar.

Thanks for sharing,

Gator

• bitslammer
    Gator Bait wrote:

Outstanding Chris! Great job. I was eager to do the same but hadn't planned early enough and when it was time couldn't talk myself into facing the traffic and crowds. My bad. What is your camera and how did you have it set? I would like to get out and photograph some lightening this summer when opportunity knocks. It should be similar.

Thanks for sharing,

Gator

I have a Nikon D90. This year I was experimenting with slow exposures. The flash would have been nice but it's hard to use wearing a hard hat and I don't need to blind the shooters any more than they already are.

I was doing anywhere from 3 sec to 6/10 of a second on most with a 17-50mm f2.8 lense. If you want to see all the settings go to the Flickr page. click on a photo and select the "View EXIF Data" option from the action button which is top left over the photo. That has all the detail you're looking for.

Funny about the lightning as that's my big target this summer. I've already sat out on teh deck for 4 storms only to have the rain drive me back in long before any good lightning.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Chris,
    WOW!! What a nice set of "here is that is going into a fireworks show" series. B) I wish I had taken them. :blush:
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Chris, Out of sight!! That second overhead is spactacular!! Glad to hear of no injuries!
    Thanks, always enjoy this from you!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • bitslammer
    Morro Bay Rich wrote:
    Chris,
    WOW!! What a nice set of "here is that is going into a fireworks show" series. B) I wish I had taken them. :blush:

Thanks. Since I was also doing some of the shooting I only had 10 minutes of time to work with and it's pertty hectic so there's not much time for thought or making adjustments. I used a monopod but a tripod would have been ideal.

With no flash it's a real challenge because you've got both ends of the spectrum (total dark and blinding bright) with very little in between. I just shoot and ignore the overexposed blowouts becasue in fact that's pretty much how it looks to your eyes. Thankfully this year we had a little wind to clear the smoke.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Congrats on the D90, I graduated to the D90 Club last winter and love it. With the few lenses I have it is as versatile as you can ever wish for.
    I'm afraid the lightning will be tricky compared to fireworks and I'm trying to be careful what I wish for. :lol: You have inspired me to make a better effort to get out and photograph the fireworks next year. If I get lucky with the lightning I will be sure to post. I should have thought to look for the EXIF data myself, thanks.

Gator
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Great pics once again :) Thanks for sharing.I only got a couple shots of the fireworks this year though.My battery died on me,and I left my spare at home :blush: :pinch: Oh well,happy 4th to ya.....

DSC_0012-1-1.jpg

DSC_0011-1-1.jpg
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Chris, nice pics, thanks for sharing! You like to live dangerously, lol.

I hope I can get together with you and the Captain in Cincinnati.
  • bitslammer
    A guy with a dead battery and a forum han'de of "Sparky"...oh the irony.

Don't feel bad. I once took off with only a bag of lenses. :blink:
  • Marc  from IL
    Marc from IL Posts: 499
    Great pics Chris. I shoot about 4 shows a year. Busy weekend for me..
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Marc, my man...those here on this board don't know that you are a registered, licensed, poly tech guy who moonlights as a realtor/developer/Corvette driving speed demon, but I guess you just let the cat out of the bag!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.