Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby backs with char (bark)

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Cooked 4th of July baby backs today. I am a Car Wash Mike disciple...so I stuck with that method...although I did add granulated brown sugar to my dry rub for some added sweetness. I also wanted to add some black char (bark) as I am a carbon afficianado.

Got off to a good start with three racks (cut in half to fit better on my large BGE).

4thofJuly018.jpg

The total cook time is almost six hours...but the results are amazing. Before the BGE, I only dreamed about cooking baby backs...now it is a reality.

4thofJuly017.jpg

To get some char, I took the placesetter out after 5 hours and finished the ribs with direct heat. I did the meat side down for about 5 minutes and then added sauce with the bone side down for about 15 minutes.

4thofJuly020.jpg

I was very happy with the results. Perfect amount of char. I know I'll use this method again in the future.

4thofJuly023.jpg

Cole slaw (with peanuts and apple slices) completed a great 4th of July meal.

4thofJuly024.jpg

Is this a great country or what!?!?! Have a Happy 4th of July!

SchmeeTex

Comments