Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Butt-Any Tweaking?

Options
TigerDunes
TigerDunes Posts: 42
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I know I probably did not cook this butt correctly but I was wondering if there is anything I can do to tweak the smoking to make outcome as good as possible.

6 1/2 lb Boston Butt bone-in with dry rub a mixture of seasonings from the cabinet.

I should have added some flavoring chips but did not because not awake or organized at this early hour.

I placed the Butt fat side up on the grill-figured that the fat burning off would help keep butt moist. correct or not?

still learning about time and temp. placed butt on about 8 AM. BGE temp over 500 but when opened dropped quickly to around 325 degrees for first hour. then gradually down to about 250 degrees where it sits now. I am checking temp every hour and trying to maintain 240-250 range. too hot or OK?

any suggestions? I want to open up and take a look but under penalty of death from family members has me a little nervous.

thanks for reading and all help is appreciated.

Happy Fourth to all!

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Your range of 240-250 is good, Don't open, just let the magic happen. If you're looking you ain't cooking. I'm not picky when it comes to fat up or down. I just throw em on. Not sure why you started a 500 for a low n slo cook. :unsure:
    Trust the egg. ;)
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    DON'T OPEN IT. Sorry, didn't mean to yell, but everytime you open it, your cook just gets longer. Everything else sounds good to me. One suggestion I can make is when you know you are egging something early in the morning, get the egg all loaded up with charcoal and wood chunks the night before - this has helped me alot in the past.

I agree with Molly, no matter on which way the fat goes in there.

Good luck with it and Happy 4th!
    Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • TigerDunes
    Options
    should I add more charcoal? I just took a reading and temp was between 230 and 240. I doubt this temp can be maintained without adding some more.

when to open up, take a look, and a butt temp reading?

5 PM would be right at 9 hours.

:unsure:
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Options
    You will be fine. Check the internal temp every once in awhile until time to take it off(195-200). It will stay warm wrapped in foil on the countertop for 2 hours, or in a cooler for 4. Enjoy, & happy 4th.
  • TigerDunes
    Options
    Thank you for your replies and for building my confidence....