Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to get char on ribs?

Options
schmeetex
schmeetex Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a batch of 4th of July baby back ribs (car wash Mike method)...but I'd like to get a bit more char on the outside this time.

My gut feeling is to take out the place setter and cook directly over the coals for the final stage (after adding barbeque sauce).

Any advice out there to get a bit of char on baby back ribs?

SchmeeTex

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I rarely use the platesetter for ribs, just because they come out more baked, and not as crisp and crunchy as I like. So I cook on a raised grill with just a drip pan below. No fluid in the pan except if the dripping begin to burn. No foiling, and just a few light mops in the last hour.

I do try to avoid really blackening the ribs. The problem I find with going completely direct is that there will be hot spots in the fire, and if the meat is not moved frequently, portions will be over-done.
  • schmeetex
    schmeetex Posts: 69
    Options
    Thanks. I do like the way the ribs turn out with the placesetter...good smoke flavor and not dry. I just want to get some char flavor (reminds me of how my mom cooked toast and several other things ;) .

I'm going to experiment today by taking the placesetter out for the last 30 or so minutes of the cook...although that is a bit of a hassle. I'll try your non placesetter method next time.

Thanks for the quick reply.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    did you really mean char vs bark? Most times I do not sauce my ribs - rather serve 2 or 3 choices of sauces on the side. I get a nice bark on mine from the rub and mustard doing them indirect with no added moisture. Works for me!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Why? You don't want char on ribs.
  • NC-CDN
    NC-CDN Posts: 703
    Options
    Char or colour? I've read that cherry wood I think it was gives a nice colour to the ribs that is appealing. I just did mine with some hickory and a touch of apple in there for kicks.