Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork danger zone question

Options
Reverend BSB
Reverend BSB Posts: 157
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Went to sleep around 12:30, egg was at 250 degrees. Woke up at 5:30, egg was at around 150, internal temp of the butt was the same. I got it into the oven at 250, but safe or not? What do you guys think? Happy 4th!

Comments

• rzrrob
    rzrrob Posts: 162
    Options
    4 hours under the 180 mark ? It is boarder line I would say

their was a post on the same thing yesterday check it out
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    The danger zone is 140 degrees. You are already past that. You could have cranked open your vents to 300 to finish it off, but 250 in the oven should do it.

Happy 4th!
    Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    Pork is technically cooked at 150 degrees, you just can't pull it till all the fat and connective tissue breaks down, which is 195 degrees internal. This info comes straight from the State of Florida SafeStaff Foodhandler Certificate Handbook.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Reverend BSB
    Reverend BSB Posts: 157
    Options
    Couldn't crank up the egg, coal was out. I had been cooking since 6 am Saturday at 250-350, thought I had enough to finish out the night but I guess not. I got it into the oven and finished it to 180. Figured since the temp was 150 it was safe.
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    egg was never in an environment that was in the danger zone. ignore internal temps, it's the exterior of the meat where the bacteria (the ones that we are concerned with anyway) live