Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My simple take on overnight cooking

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had some of my family over for lunch Sunday. I served pulled pork, pulled beef (chuck roast) and wings. I've been reading a lot about people having problems keeping the fire going overnight and I decided to post about how I do it.[p]I don't have a Guru or a Polder. I keep things really simple when I cook. I cleaned the old lump and ashes out and added new lump. I put as many big pieces on the bottom as I could, but I did end up having some big pieces on the top (I found some as I was finishing putting the lump in.) I figure as long as there's space in between the pieces of lump the fire is going to stay lit. I also had some chunks pf apple and pecan mixed in with the lump.[p]I lit the lump in three different places (using starter cubes) and let the fire burn well (with the top open) before adding more wood. It probably burned for about 15 minutes. [p]I used a simple homemade rub for the meat. I did a butt and a chuck roast. I put both on a second grid and put that on top of a drip pan. I didn't use a plate setter (don't have one), firebricks or anything else to make it more indirect. This is how I do indirect cooking most of the time. [p]I put the meat on at around 9:30 or 10:00 pm. I checked it a couple of times before going to bed. I set my alarm clock for 3:00 am before going to bed. I checked the Egg when I woke up and it was at around 250 degrees. I set the alarm for 6:00 and went back to bed. It was fine when I woke up. [p]Around 11:00 I checked the temp of the butt with an instant read thermometer. It was something like 182. I figured that was close enough, so I put the meat in foil trays, covered them with foil and put them in the oven on warm.[p]The fire had just about gone out by then, so I restarted it with a starter cube. I kept it at around 350 until I was ready to grill my wings (when everyone arrived - for appetizers.) [p]Everything turned out great. The meat just fell apart and everyone loved it. I guess the purpose of this post is to say that you don't have to be 100% scientific when you barbecue and you can keep it really simple. Your internal temp isn't 190? Big deal! The pork is still going to be pullable (and your dogs will appreciate the unrendered fat.) Don't have a Polder? So what - if you cook for 12-16 hours you know the meat is going to be ready. I'm not trying to put down anyone who uses a Guru or any other electronic device, but I think the KISS method works best for me.

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,[p]Although I wait until it hits 200, I don't use anything but my eye on the thermometer. I know that my fire will lose a little steam about the 11 - 13 hour mark, so I check it and bump the vents accordingly. [p]Oh yeah, can you send some of that food to me? For testing purposes, of course.

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    Options
    BluesnBBQ, Amen, and its mo funnah. BTW.. most don't realize that after about 3 to 4 hours, you can finish in the oven in even without foil, just add a pan of water to hold humidity. Your home will be preamated with the lovely smell of the bbq while you rest merrily through the night.
    Put the two side by side and you will hardly notice the difference, maybe a better bark on the full term ceramic cook. Not so in a contest where your restricted on GAS.
    C~W[p]