Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mapp Gas

mcook
mcook Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Many post complain about mapp gas throwing off particles. True enough on fresh charcoal.

I use mapp gas to light leftover charcoal, just direct the mapp gas to gray areas of charcoal. You may have to flip over the chunks to find the gray.

No flying particles.

I also use the mapp gas burner to light the starter blocks. It's fast.

Comments

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    I use MAPP gas and don't have too much of a problem with decent lump coal, even when fresh. You'll always get a little popping, but that's why I wear welder gloves and safety glasses when lighting.

But the off grade lump can be like.....well, fireworks on the Fourth :)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Hey mcook, Welcome to the forum! I love the MAPP gas and use it all the time. I find on new mesquite charcoal it sparks like crazy, much more then regular Royal Oak. I always wear eye protection of some sort. Even if it is just my cheap reading glasses and stand back with my face some what averted away from the egg. I have a medium egg and can light it in no time. I get my gas at Home Depot because they have the "fat boy" tanks that have a lower center of gravity and are less likely to tip over then the tall skinny tanks that Lowe's carries.

Gator

• deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Gator Bait wrote:

Hey mcook, Welcome to the forum! I love the MAPP gas and use it all the time. I find on new mesquite charcoal it sparks like crazy, much more then regular Royal Oak. I always wear eye protection of some sort. Even if it is just my cheap reading glasses and stand back with my face some what averted away from the egg. I have a medium egg and can light it in no time. I get my gas at Home Depot because they have the "fat boy" tanks that have a lower center of gravity and are less likely to tip over then the tall skinny tanks that Lowe's carries.

Gator

you leave your gas connected after each use? i wasn't sure if that was safe or not.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Fireworks on the 4th.... Kinda like this? :blink:

DSC02076.jpg

This was from a bag of Royal Oak from Paraguay. We don't buy RO from Paraguay any more. :pinch: Never had any problems with RO from other locations.

And we, too, use Mapp gas to light, and love it. We use the BBQ Guru golf club, and light in 3 places.
    http://www.thebbqguru.com/pages/The-BBQ-Guru-Golf-Club-%2d-5-in1-BBQ-Tool.html
  • E.Redshirt
    E.Redshirt Posts: 18
    Don't know about the fat boys, but in general, tanks should always be set down on their side. If you bump it, it's going to end up on its side anyway- save yourself the risk and put it that way yourself. Set it between two bricks or something to keep it from rolling.
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    Mines been connected since I replaced the bottle. Never been a problem.

Saw your post on the other site and thanks for the shout.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Mike in Abita wrote:
    Mines been connected since I replaced the bottle. Never been a problem.

Saw your post on the other site and thanks for the shout.

right right! i wish that forum had a workable search feature without paying. i pay for half a dozen websites now, not counting the ones i donate to that don't charge.