Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet on Plate Steel and some Manatees

Florida Grillin Girl
Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,965
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I had some fun egging yesterday and tried a couple of new things.

First, here is my new handle -Thank you to Capt. Frank for making it for me.

P6303058.jpg

The corn, de-silked, egged for 20-25 minutes:

P6303057.jpg

I made some Smokey Shrimp Slaw that I saw on Food network this week.

Recipe - http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-mccargo-jr/smoky-shrimp-slaw-recipe/index.html

It was awesome, I am making this again!

P6303060.jpg

Washed out pic, but you get the idea:

P6303072.jpg

I kept hearing from a friend about cooking filets on a steel plate on a grill. Here it is - 1/4 inch thick steel heating up smoking hot:

P6303061.jpg

You pour some butter on the steel, and throw a bunch of kosher salt on top of it- then throw on the 9 oz, 2 1/2 inch thick filets:

P6303066.jpg

P6303068.jpg

P6303064.jpg

P6303067.jpg

6 minutes total - pulled at 120 degrees internal:

P6303070.jpg

After the steak came off, I threw on some king crab legs.

P6303069.jpg

While the prep for this meal was going on, there were 6 manatees right off the dock.

Snout:

P6203033.jpg

Tails:

P6203035.jpg

P6203036.jpg

No plated pics, I guess I was too busy enjoying my favorite Chardonnay.

Another fun night of egging.

Faith
Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Faith,

I guess you were too full from all those delicious looking cooks to smoke a manatee eh?

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Very nice Faith. Love the slaw idea. Crab Legs are a favorite.
    Mantees are so cool!
  • Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    Great idea on the steel plate. Everything looks really good.

Mike
  • The steel plate works great, you get a total sear instead of just the grid sear. The salt is awesome. I bought another steel plate today and am going to do it again on the mini tonight.

The slaw rocks! It's the first time I have used smoked paprika.

Faith
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    I forgot to ask why you put the bricks around the plate. Where did you get the plate?

Mike
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Great post Faith, thanks for the great idea's

Ross
  • Mike, the fire bricks were there because I was putting crab on after the steak and I put another grid on top of everything to warm up those crabs. A little advance planning is all.

Faith

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Very nice Faith, you live in a magical place. -RP
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Great post Faith!! I'm liking this cooking on steel method. folks have been talking about it as of late. Steaks look perfect! As usual, jelous of your fresh fish you have available!!
    Now that smoked shrimp slaw looks like a great recipe to try. We got some smoked paprika at work last week. I LOVE it!! I've been playing with it in my work cooking. Deep flavors and a really nice kick that sneaks up on you. I never thought paprika was a spice till this came along. :laugh:
    Must be great to have that veiw of the water and the swimmers. ;)
    Thanks!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Faith,

That's one incredible looking meal/post. the no flash pic ROCKS

Thanks soo much for sharing. ;)
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Faith,

Good looking cook. Especially with the steaks on the PLATE STEEL.

My question is; what is the THICKNESS of the Plate Steel ?

How would you compare the taste of the Steak cooked on the Plate Steel compared to on the Grate ?

Thanks for the pictures.

Gary
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    Faith, your title line scared me to death....I was afraid you were cooking a manatee. I love those goofy things. I had adopted one a long time ago "Phoebe" but have since lost track of her. Maybe she is one of your little buddies -sure hope so... That shrimp slaw looks delicious. I'm putting it on my to do list......happy cooking....
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Faith....I was just thinking about you yesterday. Glad to see your post. Food looks absolutely fantastic, as always! Those filets look particulary great!!
    And the Manatees....you have NO idea how badly we miss the Tampa Bay area!! :( We'll be back over that side of the state someday!
    Be well, and keep posting!
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Fun to see the manatees, thanks for taking the pic's.
    That's a lot of cookin goin on! Nice work with the shrimp slaw...looks mighty good. :cheer:
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    All looks great but the shrimp recipe looks fantastic! thanks for posting. ;)
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Nice post Faith. Nice handle from Captin Frank. You always do wonderful things on the egg. ;) Tim
  • eenie meenie
    eenie meenie Posts: 4,394
    Faith, as always, everything looked fabulous. :) And as if that wasn't enough we got the added bonus of manatee pics. Thanks so very much!
  • The thickness of the steel is 3/8 inch. I got one for the mini too and will be posting those pics tomorrow.

Faiht

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Looks like a great meal Faith,, was that just scrap steel?
  • nice steaks Faith - looks like a good process with the steel plate

I was wondering if the thread title meant you were blackening manatee :woohoo:
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Looks like a good day in Fl!! Nice cook. Love shrimp but haven't tryed the manatee yet! :laugh:
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    steel plate - fun idea - thanks for the photos

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,500
    Morning Faith:

All right...my turn to ask "Why didn't you call me?"

As usual GREAT looking food and I like the steel plate for the steaks!

Plus it was fun to see the manatees!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• Pat, it was not scrap steel. I went to a metal alloy business and had them cut to size.
    The mini is a 7 inch square, 10 inches diagonal.
    The large is a rectangle, 10 X 12.

The name of the place where I got them is:
    Alro Metal
    12490 49th St. N.
    Clearwater, FL 33762-4310
    phone 727-572-4344

Here's a link to suppliers in FL:

http://www.globalspec.com/local/1570/FL

Faith

• My friends Dad has been cooking steak this way for 50 years!

Faith