Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

two questions

pressedmeat
pressedmeat Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing my first pork shoulder....doing it with picnic. Is this cut of the shoulder just as good? Second, I normally use Wicked Good Charcoal or BGE brand, but I was wondering if anyone has used Whole Foods brand because they are having a pretty good sale on the stuff. Wanted to know if it will burn too fast for the shoulder.

Also, if you guys have any tips for my first pulled pork like the best way to start the fire so it doesn't burn my coals too fast, or anything. I really appreciate any help with this. I've been an egg owner for a while and have been too nervous to do this long of a cook.

Comments

• 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I think the picnic is an excellent choice. :P
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Never seen the Whole Foods lump but Im guessing it is just fine. You might take a look at the package to ensure it is not from South America.
    Lighting method is not a big deal, just make sure you use plenty, loaded to the fire ring or even a little higher.
    Picnic makes good barbecue, but you will have a significant amount of bone and skin to separate, no biggie.
    Enjoy!
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Here is a butt then a picnic I did last December you can look at until someone else chimes in. Tim

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=774703&catid=1#
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    pressedmeat,

Can't help with the lump question but I haven't run across any lump that wouldn't last long enough for pulled pork. Light your lump in several places on the top. Make sure your indirect stuff is in place and get the egg to a steady 250* Picnic works fine but there is a little less yield than a butt. It can taste a little hammier too. I have found them a more forgiving cook though. Make sure you don't have a lot of ash in the egg and it should hold for as long as it takes.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Whole Foods charcoal is Cowboy charcoal, unless they have changed it recently. If you load the Egg up, it will last.

You can read about my first pulled pork cook on my website: Our First Pulled Pork

Having said that, my favorite way to start the fire for an overnighter sounds odd, but it worked great. Dump a chimney-full of raging burning lump on top of your prepared bed of lump and smoking woods. Spread it out over the top. Yes, you have a hot fire, but when you add the plate setter and cold meat, the temperature will quickly drop to around 150. Then you bring the temperature up to 230 or 250 or whatever, slowly, closing the vents more and more as you get closer to your target temperature. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • charcoal won't burn too hot really. just as a pound of feathers is equal to a pound of rock, 250 with BGE lump is the same as 3250 with While Foods.....

just dial in the temps and it'll be fine.

much maligned Cowboy lump (which is lighter maple and some oak) burns hot quickly when you want it to (steaks, paella, etc.), but it can be throttled back to 225-250 also.

it's all carbon, in the end.
  • Thanks everyone for your responses.