Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question on ABT's?

Options
Deetwood
Deetwood Posts: 70
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Let me preface my comments by saying I've never cooked ABT's before.[p]I've got to cook them and the gathering I'm going to is 1 hour away any ideas on when to cook them or how to store them for the drive?[p]Do most use cream cheese or sour cream?

Comments

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    Deetwood,
    Forget sour cream. Cream cheese is good. Sharp cheddar works nice also. Mix in a bit of sausage with it if you like, or make a little plug of meat to hold in the cheese in the end. I've even done a mix of lamb with feta cheese and some spices with good results. Quick words of advice - depending upon you & your group's tolerance for heat, you may want to core out the interior to remove the seeds & rib membrane. The membrane is where the heat is. When cooking, when the bacon's done the ABT's are done. If transporting, I use a glass bowl as the smoke will find it's way into the palstic. If you don't mind, don't worry. You can reheat in a toaster over or regular oven on a cookie sheet for best results. Otherwise, the microwave has a tendency to make them mushy. Obviously, they're best right off the grill...If you can cool them down in the fridge in a bowl, you can toss them in a ziploc for easy transport too.

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP, Lamb and feta...boy that sounds good. Are you using ground lamb or cooked & shredded.
    More details please.[p]CB

• Martini Mark in PTC
    Options
    Chrispy Bob,
    Ground lamb, about 1/2 pound for 2 dozen ABT's. Precook it about 1/2 - 2/3 done, mix in a handful of fresh rosemary & thyme from the garden, Greek seasoning ( I use Penzey's greek seasoning, nice enough ) to your liking, a twist or so of peppercorns from the mill & about a cup of feta, crumbled, more if you have alot of jalapenos or if they are larger ones. Prepare/stuff/cook like all the others. The feta doesn't seem to run as much as some other cheeses, so you can fill them pretty full, Good luck!

• Chrispy Bob
    Options
    Martini Mark in MSP, Thanks... will be fixing them soon!!!![p]CB

• Chrispy Bob,
    Again, I'm into the heavy seasonigs & herbs so be generous with your mixing & amounts...Good luck!