Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just my thoughts on the Gasket Issues. IMHO

Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have been reading a lot on the gasket issues for a long time now. I was recommended to use Cotronics Gaskets, and was approached by a number of people that you should not use this you should use the Rutland Gasket. IMHO I like the Cotronics and I’m happy with it. By all means I don't want to put my family or friends in any danger. To be honest with you the two Eggs I use all the time and not for smoking there is no gasket on them, burned off a long time ago. Just the Large has a gasket for now for my smoking.

So what is a person supposed to do? I take a lot of faith in most of the old timers in here and have the up most respect for them, if it was not for them I would not be at the level I am at when it comes to cooking and great food and there techniques, so Thank You All for that.

Here is a thought, has anyone ever checked the gasket that is used on your house oven. Also is it available to purchase. What is good for all those major brands stoves out there then I would think it would be good for the Egg. I know that gasket is glued on metal, maybe it won’t stay on the Egg, and it’s just a thought. Maybe I am talking threw my Butt on this, it’s just my thoughts.

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    makes sense Poot, I wonder about that too??
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    If I recall correctly, the original Bubba Keg cooker used a gasket that, at least, SEEMED to be the same stuff that they use on ovens. It had a problem of not being able to withstand the rivets on the edge of the lid coming down on it. You would see demo models in the store where there were holes worn through the gasket precisely where the rivets on the lid came into contact with it. And this was on a cooker that wasn't being used. So, I'd wonder if it were tough enough for this kind of usage. And of course, ovens don't go above 550 or so when you are able to open the door (you can't open the door when the self-clean cycle is going on), and ovens don't produce flames (well, not supposed to!). Hard to say. I'm sure the manufacturer would say it is not recommended to be used on a ceramic barbecue, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    I was just looking at a Bubba Keg and it's gasket on Monday, took a closer look and I agree, looks like kitchen oven gasket material 'hung' onto the keg's lip edge. Overall not original but a copy cat attempting to jump in on the ceramic grill success. Nice top vent but I can see the whole thing rusting in a short time. :pinch: I wondered if this type of gasket could be attached to the egg using high temp silicone.
  • i think the interesting thing about the coltronics gasket is that it is perceived as "safer" because it is ceramic. ceramic fibers and glass fibers are essentially the same thing.

i don't know, but i think the coltronics is used on "another" kamado type cooker. does that mean it was tested and approved? would be interesting to hear.

the issue with the fiberglass is the concern over fibers breaking off in use and getting into food or airborne. i'm not sure why the coltronics gets a free pass on that one, because it is the same thing, different material. bothe materials are inert. they don't cause birth defects. they are sand in different forms. their issue is mechanical (lodging somewhere in your body), not chemical.

that said, BGE has a say. they would be stupid to advocate anything not tested or not shown to be empirically safe. they stand behind felt, and the nomex. someone worried about the gasket (and their warranty) has no intelligent reason to switch to rutland or coltronics or any other "non-BGE-approved" gasket.

and that's from a guy with a rutland on his egg.
  • i had drawn these up a while ago. i actually now think you could achieve this without machining (without any undercuts of course), and just use casting techniques or adhesive. no need to have the dove-tail shape i guess. that would mean you could cast it in place.

XBGE_O-ring_gasket.jpg

XBGE_gasket.jpg

but i'm pretty sure there are other folks who have considered "the gasket issue" in a position more informed than most of us. :laugh:
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    The channel with a (replaceable if need be)silicone rope has been my thought for a long time too!

New slips would have to be used...but it seems like a reasobnable and simple fix to me too!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • even a vee groove, too.

they sell the big o-rings. and one on the bottom would be enough i gotta think.

ah well. great minds think alike!
  • BananaChipz
    BananaChipz Posts: 207
    Wisest words on the gasket issue i've heard on this board.
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    The only potential problem I see is a weakening of the edge. One drop of the lid and I could the edge breaking.
  • I agree with Morro Bay Rich, for people who aren't used to the weight of the lid, a hard lid drop is usually inevitable. Ask my wife.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Nice drawings, I remember them!
    I played with the idea of forming a gasket using high temp silicone out of the tube and applying it direct onto a cleaned base lip with the dome lip covered with a release tape. Bring the two half's together and let the silicone cure. Open, remove the tape, trim the silicone of excess that got pushed out to the sides and I'd have a custom gasket that would make a perfect fit all around. (bout 1/8" thick and full width of lip) Think I'll give this a try sometime this summer. All my gaskets are in great shape so no pressing need right now but I'm willing to sacrifice a felt for a silicone. ;)
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    If not for gaskets and trolls this board would have nothing to **** about..

The 6 eggs I use for the troop cooks have unrecognizable gaskets, except for one and it's gone.. Am I concerned - NOPE. They maintain temps and that is all that matters.

Let me add, that two have cracked fire rings.. I got the replacement for one. I'll get the other come October..
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    i think i could melt that, maybe a thin wall copper tube than crushes to make up for an uneven fit would work better for me. fill the tube with asbestos :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • not if the gasket is sized correctly (thick enough, etc.)
  • you'd have as much if not more cushion
  • lead paint was the best paint they ever came up with. why do they ban all the good stuff? :laugh:
  • couple guys here have gaskets formed of nothing but silicone gasket adhesive (gasket maker). squirt a generous thickness around the lowr rim, cover with plastic wrap as a bond-break) and then shut the upper lid and allow to cure.

upper lid forms a perfectly matching upper surface. remove the plastic wrap and trim any excess.

woulda tried that if i'd heard of it sooner
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    If it was me...I'd do if just on the top.

The weight would be enough to flatten out a cord or strip of silacone. Probably about 3/8'ths would be sufficient!

With no bottom gaskey...if you spilled goop or sauce...(or evencooked it on), no woorries!
    I'd go ahead and just glaze the lower rim if it was me while I was at it!

As yo your "great minds" comment?

That my friend is one thing not up for debate on this Forum...(or any other venue for that matter)!!

Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!