Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee

mrdnks
mrdnks Posts: 67
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I purchased some green coffee beans to take a stab at home roasting. I have done a lot of research and decided to try using the wok on the egg. I was pleasantly surprised with my first attempt. There is a little bit of a mess with some chaff and a little smoke so it was a logical place to try. I find it hard to control the temp of the wok with the lid up but overall it was a fun experience that I will try again. I grind my own beans and use a french press and make a darn good cup of coffee.

Comments

• EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    Mrdnks,

Where did you purchase green coffee beans?
  • Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Many of us here use an FP & grind our own. A couple roast their own beans, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it on the egg.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    I'm one of the few who roast their own beans, I get the green coffee beans from all over. I would not recomend the egg as a roaster, as there is more to it then baking beans. I'm also over at www.coffeegeek.com in the home roasting forum. I have about 3-4 home roasters and use one primarly all the time. This is a hobby for me for about 8 years I guess, about the same time as the Egg. Some take it as simple as an stainless dog food bowl and a high temp heat gun, to $5k sample roasters. Three things make it all up, A good burr grinder, good water brewing temp (195-205 deg) and a consistant roated product
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 37
    I also roast green beans for drip and espresso and would second the advice that this would be best left for devices other than the BGE. I can't see how the beans would actually roast vs. bake in an environment that would capture and preserve so much of the moisture escaping from the beans.

In the past I have made/used an attachment for a rotisserie to roast over a gas BB-Q as well as several other purpose-specific roasters, which I feel give the best results.

The link above to CoffeeGeek.com is a useful reference. You may also want to check http://www.home-barista.com and http://www.sweetmarias.com as each site had useful information on roasting and green beans.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions of me OT.
  • mrdnks
    Oh come on think outside the box a little.
    I have done enough research to write a book.
    I have been to all the websites and seen all the home made contraptions. Like I said it worked fairly good, yes I am looking to get a roaster but in the mean time will keep trying new things.
    A dog bowl and a hair dryer? much better.
  • Pharmer
    Pharmer Posts: 37
    Knock yourself out. Nobody said you couldn't try.

However, might I suggest you heed your own advice, respect the fact that some might have tried roasting on a grill, had better success with other methods, and simply wanted to help you with your new-found hobby.

If your purpose was simply to reject any and all comments that don't align with your opinion, why did you bother posting in the first place?

Perhaps I'll rescind that offer to help you further.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Not so much a hair dryer but an industrial hot air blower, it does look like a hair dryer and those who have them like them. I have a Hottop, Behmor, Freshroast 8+ and one more.
  • Bacchus
    Pharmer, your latest reply made me laugh, thanks. He definately doesn't seem open to advice, and in all fairness he didnt ask for any either. Seems his post was more of a pat on his own back, which of course most of us do fairly regularly. But most would also be receptive to constructive criticism by someone knowledgable.
  • I've been waiting for a Ms. Silvia and Rocky to come up on craigs list. Those things are more rare than BGE and they also don't last long.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    You want to sell one of your roasters?

I have a lowly Jura Capresso coffee machine, and have not yet roasted my own beans.
  • mrdnks
    Correct I was not looking for advice nor did not ask for it. I thought I would post on a subject that I had not seen talked about.
    I will be the first to ask for help when needed and appreciate all the knowledge of people around here.
    On the roasting subject I am working on several other things just didn't post about them here as they are off topic to this forum. I myself thought it would be fun to try something new on my EGG and was pleased with the results. And I did learn a few things and that made it well worth the time. :side: reaching around patting self on back
  • Bacchus
    Hey, good for you man. If you enjoy the experimenting and the results, f**k what anyone else thinks.
    Personally I will continue to buy cheap roasted beans at Trader Joes, grind them, and press. Makes for an incredibly good cup. However, a friend may be hooking me up with a roaster, in which case I will give it a whirl.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    When you're done whirling (or when you get good at it) I prefer Sumatra beans roasted extra dark.