Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trying to help a new friend buy the right egg

Pharmeggist
Pharmeggist Posts: 1,191
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi,
I have made a new friend Jason recently by introduction by another friend. The bachelor guy reminds me alot of my own brother. So here is the deal. He is in his mid 30's doesn't have a grill.... He came to my house for a birthday party for our mutual friend Chris. I grilled steaks on the small T REX style. Filled the Large with un-shucked corn wrapped loosley with foil. When the steaks were done I put Zuccini on the small. We had great food and I talked about the eggs' right ;) Anyway, Jason very interested in the egg. In fact we are going to the dealer tomorrow. I can't determine whether I should point him to the Large like I originally thought or steer him to the medium. He is most likely going to be cooking for himself most of the time maybe 2 at best. It looked like to me the Large seemed like overkill to him at the moment. So what do you think? Your advice appreciated.

Regards, Pharmeggist

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Pharmeggist....I have to admit, we absolutely love our medium. Just the husband and I, and it is a great cooker! Easy to control, change temps, etc. However, admittedly, we still kick back to the large for 95% of our cooks. IMO...as long as the extra money isn't an issue, have him go with the large. There is no "wasted" lump, as we just shut down, and refire the next day. Very few negatives either way, but if I could only have one egg, it would be the large. Have fun addicting, ahh, introducing another new egghead!! :)
  • Pharmeggist
    which one did you get first?
    I worked in the reverse Large, Small, mini
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks....
    Maybe in the store it will be easier for him to decide on. We can take the eggcessories in the store and stick them in the floor models and talk about it. Hadn't thought about that till now.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Large arrived first...then the second large....then the medium...then the third large. :blush: Our original large is 14 years old.
    We had a mini, but it didn't work for us. It was adopted by a very happy family in Georgia, and is doing great work to this day.
  • Pharmeggist
    Nothing to :blush: about....

I told my wife if Jason doens't like the medium I could buy it back from him if he got buyers regret. Her reaction was like this :blink: So she smiled and said thats your plan huh ;) Oh well we will see what the week brings :whistle:
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    I bought my Medium as my first Egg and used it for about 2 1/2 years before adding a Large. I think the poster below just hasn't figgered his Medium out yet. It is very versatile. Admittedly, BGE doesn't have as many accessories available for the Medium, but if he takes the fire ring out at times, all those combinations he talks about will do just fine in the Medium. Like LC and Bubba, I still love my Medium and use it often. I'm not trying to sell you on one or the other, just saying that the Medium can do it all with a little imagination, and when it comes time for his second Egg, the Large/Medium is a great combination :laugh:
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks for the information...

I have the day off from work and I am already up this morning still thinking about it. He can't go wong either way. After all he is going from having no grill to having a BGE right? :woohoo:
  • DeanR
    DeanR Posts: 27
    I have had both a large and medium and given his situation I see no reason why he shouldn't get a medium. They may not have all the accessories commercially available as the large but with a little work they can be had/fabricated. Also if he ever wants to take it to your house all he has to do is pick it up and strap it in his passenger seat.
  • I am a R.PH in Texas.....genius name/handle on your part
  • Pharmeggist
    Thanks :blush: My wife thinks I am still a little over the top :silly: with my eggs. However, if you click on my handle you will see that a few years ago I got here to cross the line too ;)
  • Pharmeggist
    I appreciate the feedback. Someone who has a medium and large gives me great insight. I am just trying to rememember what it is like to be single like Jason (trying to help him decide on the purchase is tough). My thought is cooking for one or two people the Medium would be a good fit. He asked about the small I told him I smoked a 10 pound turkey in it but I couldn't picture myself attempting an overnight cook in the small.
  • Pharmeggist
    how about for your handle...
    eggtraordinaryrph
  • EGGRPh
    EGGRPh Posts: 180
    I'm a retail pharmacist in Ohio! How long have you had your eggs? All I have is a large and I love it. My wife said I was nuts to buy a large, but after cooking ribs, a pork butt (pulled pork), 10 diff. pizzas, hamburges, dogs, and brats I would not have gotten anything smaller. I am going to try the thanksgiving turkey on my egg this coming holiday.

Just my 2 cents.

Stef in Brunswick, Oh.
  • I have a Medium and an XL (had the Med first). I would suggest the Large, if the price difference is not a problem for him. I can do extended lo and slo cooks on the Med just fine and it would handle enough food for two to four people very easily. But, when it comes to ribs or any large hunk of meat, the Large will outshine the Med (IMHO). The ribs was the biggest drawback for me on the Med, not being able to keep them in full racks.

But, in the end - he can't really go wrong either way. If he gets the Med, he will be wanting a 2nd egg within a few months anyway - and then he will go out and buy the Large.
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    I am a batchelor and I bought a small for myself 1.5 years ago and it has worked out fantastic for me. I usually cook 2 to 3 meals at a time, dinner plus lunch and dinner the next night. I can spatchcock a chicken and get 3 to 4 meals out of it. I have cooked several 8# boston butts for 12 hours and it works fine, if you use a wiggle rod a few times. The small does everything I need except for ribs, brisket and entertaining for more than 3 or 4.

I bought a large at OKC eggfest this spring to entertain with. Took 5 dozen ABTs to a work party last week and now I am their new hero!
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • Pharmeggist
    Hi Eggrph,
    I have had my large since sept. 2006 added a small about a yr later and mini in 08 if I remember correctly. Having way to much fun for sure :silly:
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    It looked like to me the Large seemed like overkill to him at the moment. So what do you think? Your advice appreciated.

can't think in the moment when considering an egg, dang things last way too long. He could be cooking on it for 25+ more years, so the extra cash out of pocket today is nothing amortized over a life time of meals.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    it depends on if he wants to get his bigger expense (the large) out of the way now, or if he wants to wait and pick it up later.

it's inevitable. most of us do it. i went large, mini, small. i'm not done yet.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    at least since he is single, he won't have to justify a welding and metal fabrication shop to the wife in order to smoke some Q.........LOL.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    I have a medium. For my wife and me and occasionally a couple of friends, the medium works well. It is a lot more versatile, though, if you buy a Woo2 ring for it or add some bolts to the grill to raise it up...I had grilling issues with the medium Egg until I did this.

Re: Ribs: You can cook whole racks by rolling them up (they'll unroll with a little encouragement if you removed the membrane before cooking). I don't sweat this and just cut the racks in half; you can easily cook three racks this way in a medium if you use a rib rack.

A medium Egg handle two seven-pound pork butts without much trouble. A big brisket can be a challenge but anything under 14 pounds or so can be draped over a rib rack or the thin end can be folded under itself (which sometimes helps with even cooking anyway).

It surely must use less charcoal than a large -- there is less ceramic mass to heat up and less air space to keep hot. I cook about three times a week and it takes me about a month to go through a 10-pound bag of Royal Oak lump.

However, of course, the large is more versatile -- but it costs hundreds more.
  • Frobozz
    Frobozz Posts: 98
    I have a medium. For my wife and me and occasionally a couple of friends, the medium works well. It is a lot more versatile, though, if you buy a Woo2 ring for it or add some bolts to the grill to raise it up...I had grilling issues with the medium Egg until I did this.

Re: Ribs: You can cook whole racks by rolling them up (they'll unroll with a little encouragement if you removed the membrane before cooking). I don't sweat this and just cut the racks in half; you can easily cook three racks this way in a medium if you use a rib rack.

A medium Egg handle two seven-pound pork butts without much trouble. A big brisket can be a challenge but anything under 14 pounds or so can be draped over a rib rack or the thin end can be folded under itself (which sometimes helps with even cooking anyway).

It surely must use less charcoal than a large -- there is less ceramic mass to heat up and less air space to keep hot. I cook about three times a week and it takes me about a month to go through a 10-pound bag of Royal Oak lump.

However, of course, the large is more versatile -- but it costs hundreds more.
  • Pharmeggist
    Jason didn't purchase an egg today... I told him to come look at the posts in this forum and ask questions. I'll tell you what happens. Looks like he may pull the trigger on Saturday. He is a winner which ever one he decides on.

Best Regards, Pharmeggist
  • I will take your suggestion under advisement. I got my egg for father's day & love it. I haven't setup a user account yet on this forum but I'm sure I'll come up with something cool. Back to your original question.....I bought a large egg. The dealer only stocks large ones. They said that in the past people who bought medium or smaller eggs wish they would have gotten the large one. You can still order a medium, small or ex-large. The large egg seems to be most common....hope that helps!!