Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small green egg?

Don Allen
Don Allen Posts: 20
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am a happy owner of a large green egg for about one and a half years. I call Atlanta yesterday and order a small green egg to add to my large one. It seem like most people who have the large one has a small egg too! Other than mobility, what are some other reasons for having the small egg. I need something when I tell my wife. Yes, I know I have this process backwards. I did good when I bought the Large Green Egg. Hoping that is the same story for the Small Green Egg. Can you help with what you like about your small egg ?

Comments

• FatDog
    FatDog Posts: 164
    Don Allen,
    I like almost everything about my small egg. Since the people in my Sunday school class have found out how good the food is, I have to cook more often than some others in the class. As it turns out, I often use both eggs at the same time ... ribs, wings, or chickens on the large and a pot of beans and some baked spuds on the small. Makes for an excellent combination. With NC STATE football coming up, I'm looking forward to some serious tailgating. No more steel or gassers for me![p]Doc

• Don Allen,
    I like to be able to cook different things at the same time at different temps. And I like knowing I could easily transport it for events, if I like.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Don Allen,[p]1. You can cook the main dish on one and a side or bread on the other.
    2. It's a wonderful camping accessory.
    3. It's great for a quick meal for two.
    4. If anyone in the family is vegetarian, you can have one cooker that is for meat and one that is for non-meat.
    5. You can cook two main dishes at differing temperatures.
    6. You will increase output of what you can cook (i.e. you've got 13 more inches of grid space to fill with chicken legs).[p]Have fun!
    Tonia
    :~)

• Borders
    Borders Posts: 665
    Don Allen, I bought my small for mobility, but it has become my main home cooker. It's quicker to clean and prep for a cook, perfect for steaks, burgers, wings, ribs. I use my large mainly for low n slow, big cooks like lots of ribs, 2 or 3 chickens and pizza.[p]Go ahead and buy an extra grid right now. Use a ceramic pie dish as a plate setter and you can do quality indirects.[p]Ditto to what Whiz says about cooking different things on your 2 eggs at diff temps. [p]tnslagamater and mollyshark told me the small was a winner, and they werent kidding.

• Don Allen,[p]I carry my small in my motorhome and use it at home for quick evening cooks.[p]Semper Fi,[p]MC
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Don Allen,
    Because it's cool and you can?

• Wise One
    Wise One Posts: 2,645
    Don Allen, here's the winner: It's romantic. Candlelight dinners for two. It's perfect.

• Don Allen,
    this forum is a good thing. Thank you all.

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Don Allen,
    STEAKS........you`ll understand when you get it....[p]Wess

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Don Allen, give it to your wife as a gift! She deserves her own BGE doesn't she? JCA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Don Allen, like we learned in that college course "BAGH 101"
    (Being A Good Husband at least 1 night out of the first year)
    Let her be:
    1)an intergral part of the first selection/purchase process
    2)show her what rewards the two of you received from that joint decision/purchase
    3)she will encourage...naw, make that she will BEG you to go buy that small BGE.
    BTW this scenario follows our experience in that my wife and I decided to pop for that expensive large BGE just two years after laying out $550 for a Ducanne gasser that was supposed to last a lifetime. Less than one year later my wife surprised me on my b/d with a small BGE. And guess what?...a year after that she surprised me with a medium BGE...and guess what else...we are only a family of two!!![p]Trust me, the family of BGEs we own is like any other set of tools - each is great and even a stand alone is great, but hey, this is a lifetime investment which will keep giving back so it's not expensive AT ALL!
    PS
    Wanta buy an abandoned gasser?[p]

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    RRP, I turned down an offer of a free Ducane gas grill recently. But that large in Holland is coming home with me soon!
    Pray for C~W; the tornado sirens just went off and he ran for the basement. JCA

• Toe 49
    Toe 49 Posts: 193
    Don Allen,[p]It uses less charcoal? Gets to cooking temp quicker? Because you can? It looks cute next to the large?
  • Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    J Appledog, thanks girl...we ducked, no damage, but a few (like five) miles away, different story..9 of those rascals rampaged through our state last night.[p]