Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Byron's Butt Rub

Grumpa
Grumpa Posts: 861
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My wife and I enjoy the mild side when it comes to seasonings and don't really care for atomic pepper and afterburns in our food.

A couple of weeks ago I picked up a jar of Byron's Butt Rub after hearing many folks brag about it. After getting it home, I dipped my pinky in it to see what my taste buds thought of the stuff.... YEOW, it was about like straight black and cyanne pepper and burned for hours. I decided it was not my cup of tea and passed it on to my son (he eats about anything) reserving a little for my self for further study.

Tonight I sprinkled some on an extra burger while grilling dinner. I sat down and gave it a try and found it to actually be quite mild with an ever so faint taste of any pepper or burn. Does this stuff change that radically while cooking or was it just me on either end of the spectrum of test tasting it? I may have to actually try it on a butt, but still would like to hear what others have to say about it first.

Is this meant to be spicy hot in the end or does it just start that way and chill out during the cook?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Bob,

Your not supposed to eat the stuff straight :laugh:

I love it on chicken (wing for sure), butts (obviously), ribs, eggs, popcorn.....

I gave up on the little bottles and get the jumbo one.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    I've tried it on brisket. It made a good, tasty bark, but the au jus was way too hot for us to use for anything.

Don
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    We all have different tastes and tolerances for heat. Byrons is my go to rub for butts or other lo & slos, to me it is just right.
    I think a pinky full, raw, not blended with the meat is probably not a fair test for any rub. Read the ingredients, if it says cayenne, red pepper flakes, etc, you don't want it. Salt, black pepper, paprika, cumin, garlic, you are safe. I'm sure you get my drift. Homemade rubs are easy and there a plenty of them on here and on the net.
    One more hint. I am a big fan of Dizzy Pig Rubs. They have a large assortment suitable for all kinds of food and tastes. Check out their website, call them [they are eggers and you won't meet nicer people anywhere] and discuss your needs. :)
    Hope this helps :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • Mike in Abita
    Mike in Abita Posts: 3,302
    I find most seasonings will mellow with a little heat. Open a jar of Dizzy Pig and smell it. The flavors are so intense, you wouldn't dare think it would make a good seasoning, but used sparingly it adds just the right amount of heat/sweet/savory IMO. Most rubs are like that. Try Willingham's original, take a big wiff and it catches you in the back of the throat. No way that is tasting good on a pork chop, but it does.
  • mr toad
    mr toad Posts: 779
    no one rubs a butt like bad byron

mr toad
    See no Evil - Hear no Evil - Speak no Evil
                        Smoke no Evil

BGE - Mini, Small, Medium, Large
  • My favorite seasoning, hands down. I have found it in Old Town Spring (thanks S.C.) at "The Pepper Palace" and can save on shipping.
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    I guess I need to slow down on passing judgement until I have given a rub a fair chance in the pit. Oh yes, very familair with the DP rubs, I was among the 1st customers in the beginning and have used them for many years. Sometimes you just have to try something differemnt though :evil:

No more pinky tests for me :blush:
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    I will give you my bias opinion because everyone has one. I have BBR. I make my own rub. I buy DP rubs. I also have some other rubs. I use a sweet rub for my butts and ribs and chicken. Maybe that is because I don't usually sauce my meats. To each is own. Tim :)
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I do not like to spicy of food either. But I do like Byrons a lot. I use it butts, chicken, tator tots, and more. I did ruin some baby backs once with too much and they were so spicy I threw them out.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    We use BBBRub a lot but have lately started using Woody's which is available here in central ar, its a little milder and seems to be less salty, good for us seniors.
  • asianflava
    asianflava Posts: 313
    One thing you have to remember with a rub is that the heavier ingredients will settle to the bottom, the salt, sugars, etc. Lighter ones will stay at the top like the pepper. Particle size also affects this. I also like to use Montreal Steak seasoning on my steaks. When the bottle starts running down, it is mostly salt left so I end up tossing it.

I've used Byrons for a while, I like it but the last time I did a butt, it was a bit salty to me. Everybody else liked it, but I'm my wosrt critic.
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    I put it on most meats!!!! I love it....to kick it up just spread it heavy but fer your mild taste---a lil dustin' is all you need! :P :blink:
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!
  • Cruzr
    Cruzr Posts: 91
    My wife is not a fan of any heat at all. So of, course, I put about half a sample bag of DP red eye express on along with the DP Dizzy Dust on a small pork butt this weekend, and she thought it was great. :evil:
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Wonder if that butt had any injections by the processor? :whistle:
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    instead of tossing it near the end why not shake it as soon as it's like 1/3rd empty - that's what I do with all my rubs and have no waste to speak of.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Usually most commercial mixes are way too salty, but I've really enjoyed my first jar of Bad Byron's Butt Rub -- won as door prize at OKC Eggfest 2010 B)

Have had some other mixes get hotter by the end, though :pinch:
  • Hello Eggland,
    This is my first post here. I happen to be a big BGE fan.
    For those of you who mentioned you like our product Butt Rub, thank you and we appreciate the support.
    A couple of things about it. If ever your end product is too salty or hot , you have used too much rub, simple as that. It is a more powerful seasoning than most mainly due to there being no sugar.
    BBQ and this product have been a big blessing for me and we are fortunate to be in our 14th year now.
    For those who like and use our product, please ask for it at your local grocer.
    Happy 4th to all. God Bless!
    Byron
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Byron, Thanks I will cut back and see how I like it then. Tim :)

You have a great fourth of July as well. :)
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Great stuff, will cut back also.