Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

making LOX

Options
Chef Arnoldi
Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
33%3B6534323232%7Ffp63%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3B547%3C35%3Aot1lsi
<p />follow the directions given by the link below. I used the mini BGE to generate the smoke from elder wood. Mini temp 225F with out put Output
temperature at the hose end 95F. i smoked 2 salmon filets
(previuosly cured with salt/sugar dill & black pepper, refreshed, then brushed with rum/brown sugar) for 45min., then placed back in the refigerator for 1/2hr.
Sliced thin & frozen in individual packs for future use.
(max 3 month)
33%3B6534323232%7Ffp47%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3DXROQDF%3E23235%3B54843%3A7ot1lsi[p]

[ul][li]LOX[/ul]

Comments

• Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    explanation on smoking method: i placed the filets on a wire rack on top of an oven tray that has been wrapped loosely with aluminum foil. this allows the crimping of an aluminum dryer hose at one end & a small opening at the opposite end for the smoke to escape.
  • LasVegasMac
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi, Very nice! A setup to to remember. Thank you.[p]LVM

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]How long did you have to cure the filets before smoking them? How did they turn out? I've been wanting to do this for a while.[p]Thanks,[p]TRex
  • Chef Arnoldi
    Options
    TRex, i did it for 3 days

• trout16
    trout16 Posts: 60
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi,
    you have given me inspiration!!! I have been smoking salmon filets every week for bout 6 weeks now. I wanted to try lox but couldn't figure out how to get that low of a temp on the egg. What an epiphany lol! I'm curious tho bout the curing method. You said 3 days, w/o being rude and giving up all your secrets, could you elaborate on that? I'm going to grab a 6 x 4 sheet metal reducer for my large egg to connect the dryer vent. Is the cast iron top damper necessary then, or do you still use it? My mouth is watering!

• Smoke-N-Smirk!
    Options
    Chef Arnoldi, Awesome! We consume "LOX" of it around here! I'll give yours a try.
    S-N-M!