Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bed bath and beyond pizza stone

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I purchased a pizza stone from bed bath and beyond and it was pretty cheap (15-20$)and its pretty thin. I probably should have gotten the BGE one. However all I have heard is not to buy the pampered chef one. Im looking to try my first pizza today. Has anyone used this stone? If it cracks/"explodes" will it hurt/damage my egg?

Comments

• FatMike
    FatMike Posts: 464
    I have been using a pampered chef for about a year with no problems but I cook my pies at 500. It won't hurt the egg
  • Fluffyb
    Fluffyb Posts: 1,815
    I used a generic inexpensicve pizza stone for close to 3 years before it cracked. I also cook my pizza's around 500. The only reason it cracked was user error. I sat it down hard on an uneven surface.
  • Cpt'n Cook
    Cpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    I use a stone that was cheaper than that, it was around 5-6.00 and came with a little metal carrier which I don't use. It is a thin stone and I have gotten 100 or so pizzas out of it so far, with another one due tonight. I have gone over 700 degrees with it.

Make sure you let it warm up with the egg and you should have no problem.
  • Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    As long as you can take it back...try it.

I can tell you that it MAY work for a short time...but in the longer term...it WILL FAIL!

Just get the BGE...or even order oone from Tom @ Ceramic Grill Store!

The price difference just isnt that much!
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Capt'Cook:

I think I have the same stone and use the metal carrier as a seperation between the platesetter. Have probably cooked 50+ pies on it without issue. Like you said, allow the stone to heat up with the egg. I also cook my pizzas at 400 dome since I have the best results at that temp.
  • phish2160 wrote:
    So I purchased a pizza stone from bed bath and beyond Has anyone used this stone? If it cracks/"explodes" will it hurt/damage my egg?

P, Mine from BB&B has worked fine. Always let it heat up with your Egg. There should be no potential for damage.