Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts No Fit

'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My Father's Day Meal is already on the egg. Each cook is a learning experience. I bought 4 Pork Butts at $1.52 a pound and was tickled with the price. I got them home and realized after I opened the packages they were boneless. I felt like a bonehead. I quick tied them up with butcher string sauced them up with mustard and Dizzy Pig. I had four fine looking gooey butts staring at me so to speak.

In preparation for the biggest cook of my life I bought a Weber cooking grate and bolted it to the ceramic egg grate. I loaded that puppy up with four butts and laid it in the egg. Only problem was that the egg would not close down on top two butts. I must have missed something in the seminar on bolted racks and four butts. I have seen pictures but I need to modify something. I don't NEED four butts for the amount of people I have coming so I quickly snatched the top two and wrapped them in saran wrap and pitched them in the fridge. Guess I am doing two back to back cooks.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,676
    Not sure what size grid you used but easily could of added 2 or more butts to this setup

100_4053.jpg
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Poolman, I think the problem is the platesetter. With a platesetter to hold the drip pan and two grates just gets it too high. Maybe without the fire ring?
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Q - Remove the fire ring, and put the platesetter on the fire box. I also would suggest not 'bolting' the additional grid, unless it is done in a manner that rotation can still be accomplished? You may need to rotate half way through. (Don't forget drip-pan on green feet) Have fun! This will be a great cook for you! Nothing wrong with boneless butts!
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    This is 4 8 pounders. I used a plate setter and a grill out of a brinkman smoker with s.s. thread all. They were tight but they fit. Look close you can see were one was touching the dome.
    This was half of a 64 pound 33 hour cook for the guys at work.

IMG_8393.jpg
  • 'Q Bruddah
    LC We are already an hour and a half in. Are you saying there is still time?
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244

Now you know how people end up with so many eggs! You just need a bigger egg. :laugh:

Gator

• 'Q Bruddah
    Amen, Brother, preach it!!
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    no need to use bolts here is four. i put three around and laid a rack on top then threw the fourth on. i put the rack in there so it would be easy to get the fourth butt off ;)

04-05-2008006.jpg

i hope this helps

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Little Chef
    An hour and a half in with just two butts? I would make the modification, and throw the other two in there. They will be done obviously later than the others, but it's better than a full back to back cook IMO!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    I go back to my first post. Each cook is a learning experience. LC-- I owe you a beer and maybe dinner and two beers. Before I read your post I threw caution to the wind, tossed the fire ring on the gasser...er stainless steel storage shelf and the two butts back on. They are on top and will cook faster because of it. I used HDAF balls for feet under the drip pan. Yes!!! I was NOT looking forward to two back to backers. I have a heavy work load come Monday and I can ill afford to be pooped from too much smokin' if you know what I mean. Thanks so much for a timely post
  • 'Q Bruddah
    It DOES help for the future for sure. Thanks so much. DANG you gotta love this forum. Pulled out of the fire again!! Much appreciated.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    What you are missing is the platesetter is in the way.

It is raising that rig of yours too high into the dome.

Do what LC said and removed the fire ring for now. Get onto TJV's site ( Ceramic Grill Store )and get his spider. With the spider and a pizza stone you will have a sufficient barrier for indirect cooking
  • 'Q Bruddah
    CW-- Thank you. We got 'er going now. I followed LC's advice and we're gonna to have a pile o' pork tomorrow. I can't wait to get up early with a cup of coffee and smell the smoke. Happy Father's Day, to me.
    Happy Father's Day, to me.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Kokeman, thanks for the photo. I have a couple of 9 pounders and there was an inch gap between the base and the lid, as both butts were touching the dome.
  • Little Chef
    Q- That's what the forum is here for! :) You'll need to do a bit more juggling at the end of the cook, but at least it's not an extra 14 hours or more! :blink: Wish you the best with it!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    LC you are right, this is what the forum is for. My first butt cook went 19 hours so...I am sure this is saving a ton of time.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    and to the neighbors downwind! :lol::lol:
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    before i got my adjustable rig, i'd put three butts down on the bge grid and lay a smaller grid directly on the meat and stack on the other butt. i think i did three on the bottom and two on top once, total of 45 lbs pre-cooked weight. i can only find the picture of four of them....

3fbdb211.jpg