Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Temp VS Dome temp Question

Big Papa
Big Papa Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Good morning all you eggers :)

I have a general question on the 2 temps on the BGE
I want to do a slow cook with pork shoulder and have read that the Grate temp should be around 225-275. If that is the case, what would the dome temp be?

I dont have a BBQ Guru to help with the grate temp.

So I guess I am just asking what my dome temp should be at for the low and slow cook.

Thanks

Comments

• h20egg
    h20egg Posts: 168
    I'm not sure I have the answer. The one butt I've done successfully I did grill temp, with the Maverick 73 thermo, at about 240. Getting ready to do another tonight. It worked great. From what I've read, butts are pretty easy and whether it's 225 or 275 will only likely change the time involved. Biggest caution is do not go too low as you risk fire out at night, which is why I have the M 73 to warn me. But, I don't go below 240 and think I've got fire habits down to where I'm confident of an overnight at 240 with or wo a remote read. Good Luck!
  • fire egger
    fire egger Posts: 1,124
    I think (not at all sure) the general rule is that you add about 25-30 to the dome for grate temp, however I do my PP at 250-275 dome.
  • WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    There can be as much as a 50 degree difference between the dome and grate when you first start off but with a long slow cook with a lot of mass, the dome and grate temps will equalize over a couple of hours.

To keep it simple, I'd keep the dome temp stable between 250 - 275 and you will be golden.
    Good Luck!

john
  • Lei'd-n-Egg
    Lei'd-n-Egg Posts: 289
    Keep it at 250 dome and you'll be very happy with the results.