Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

sweet potato

Chainsmoker
Chainsmoker Posts: 114
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anybody cook them on the egg? Technique?
Thanks,
Ryan

Comments

• slice them into about 1/3 inch thick planks ...brush a little olive oil on them and then dust them with a little dizzy pig pinneapple head rub (or raging river rub is good too). . ..grill them direct at around 400 degrees (preferably on a raised grid). . .turn them after about 8 - 10 minutes. . don't let them burn. . .with about 5 minutes to go sprinkle a little mixture of cinammon/sugar on them .. .

yummy!!

waldorf2010andotherstuff015.jpg

waldorf2010andotherstuff021.jpg

waldorf2010andotherstuff023.jpg
  • GrillDaddy
    GrillDaddy Posts: 295
    I just put them on w/ the meat. finish in mircowave once the meat is ready to eat. Cut down the middle and add sour cream and fresh chives.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Low and Slow till they are soft. I have done them hot and fast too but for some reason they are yummier when roasted low and slow.. 250-350 degs..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Sour cream and chives on SWEET potatoes?? Butter and Cinnamon but not sour cream and chives...

But if you like it .... :P
  • exactly how we do them, too, max. i usually plank them the long way though, and leave the skin on. i get fewer slices, but they are easier for me to handle, and saves me the paring time.

absolutely one of our favorites veggies off the grill. that and summer squash and/or zukes, done similarly. (olive oil, salt, pepper)
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    I do pretty much what Mad Max said, sometimes if I am cooking them with something that is going to finish much faster I will par-boil them a few minutes, pat dry, evoo, dust and cook. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • 2Fategghead
    2Fategghead Posts: 9,624
    Last fall I stocked up for the winter. To bad it didn't last all winter. :(

000_0932.jpg

Here I stuffed a butternut squash with a sweet potato. Yum yum :P

000_0928.jpg
  • Davekatz
    Davekatz Posts: 763
    These are my favorite: Tumeric Sweet Potatoes

1 large sweet potato, peeled, washed, and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
    1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon lime juice
    1 teaspoon ground turmeric
    1 teaspoon dried cilantro

Combine the pepper, onion, oil, lime juice, salt, and spices, then add sweet potatoes and turn until coated well. Marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour.

Set up your grill for a direct cook over medium-high (400°F) heat.

Using a slotted spoon, remove the vegetables to a vegetable basket or griddle, reserve the marinade. Grill the vegetables for about 6-8 minutes, until grill marks appear and they begin to soften. Turn and grill the other side for another 6 minutes. Return vegetables to the reserved marinade, toss to coat and set aside.

521622810_DCBhJ-L.jpg
    Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    nuke them until cooked, cut in half the long way, generous sprinkle of dizzy pig pineapple head, and then on the grill face down until I get some nice grill marks.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    I've done them that way as well....I've also boiled those planks some first to get them going, then on the grill for the finish...depend on room, timing, and what I'm cooking.