Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

suggestions for a weekend cook

Options
Metalhead
Metalhead Posts: 668
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
looking to smoke/grill a hunk-o-meat sometime over the weekend. Any suggestions? Looking for a pc of meat that won't break the bank. I'm not sure if it is me or if others have noticed, but my local Kroger has raised their prices significantly.
chime in with some suggestions :woohoo:

Comments

• Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    pork tenderloin, direct, stuffed with anything you can think of. always good, quick, and cheap. pork loin (which is different, and much bigger) is also cheap and good. treat it like a roast, with salt and pepper on the fat and some decent smoke.

tuna steaks? planked salmon? could do cherrystone clams, set them on a plate over a decent fire (say 350) until they start to pop open, taking each one off as it does. can even leave them on if you want so that they all come off at once. ...just don't let them all dry out for the sake of a couple holdouts.
  • BigGreenDon
    BigGreenDon Posts: 167
    Options
    Would one do mussels the same way? I love them, but have never eaten them outside of a restaurant...

Don
  • Humphrey Chimpden Earwicker
    Options
    i dunno. they seem to carry less water with them. i don't think they have a membrane at the shell edge which keeps water out (or in, i guess). clams filter thru a neck, and when you smoke them (roast them) like this, the water in them will steam them, and there is enough to keep them moist even after they open.

i suppose you could do mussels this way, too. once they die, the abductor muscle relaxes and the shell opens. i just don't have a feeling for whether there is enough moisture in them to keep them wet, steamy, etc.

give it a shot. you could always see if they manage ok. if they seem too dry, toss them in a pasta dish with butter, garlic, etc.
  • FearlessGrill
    Options
    Here's a mussel dish we made on the Egg a while ago. I cooked them indirect right on the grid at about 400 degrees for a few minutes until most of them had opened. I added a handful of alder wood chips to the fire to give them a bit of smoke flavor.

Grilled%20Mussels%201.jpg

The full recipe comes from a book by Diane Kochilas called Mediterranean Grilling, and a writeup is posted on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2008/09/recipe-grille-1.html

-John