Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking tomatoes and ribs

egghead2004
egghead2004 Posts: 430
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
tomatoes,%20pork,%20grills.jpg
<p />Just the start...3 levels, the pork goes on top seasoned with olive oil, garlic and fresh basil..Tomatoes go below. I als have a 4th grill which is between the fire ring and fire box. Ths will hold my cast iron pand which helps make this an indirect cook. I also have a pot cover inverted sitting on the pan with a little olive oil, this will also catch the drippings for the sauce.

Comments

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    egghead2004,[p]Nice setup, Danemang. Let us know how it turns out and what kind of dish you make with the sauce.[p]Cheers!
    John

• Picture.jpg
    <p />I put this on the egg @ 12:15pm, dome temp @ 175. I keep checkig it, worried the fire will go out. But we're still chuggin' away, dome is @ 185 and internal on the ribs is 123.
    Hey Whiz, can you invent a device to record scents and aromas? I walked outside a minute ago and got a wiff of the mostr heavenly smell of pork/garlic/basil/olive oil. [p]here is a pic of the set up in the grill @ 12:15[p]

• WooDoggies,
    AARRRGGH, I just looked at your old post, you halved the tomatoes....I sliced, 4 per tomato. Hope I don't loose these.

• WooDoggies
    WooDoggies Posts: 2,390
    egghead2004,[p]I think you'll be fine.... worse that can happen is you lose the moisture that you'd be reducing in the pot anyways.[p]keep us posted with mo pictures.[p]John

• Char-Woody
    Char-Woody Posts: 2,642
    egghead2004, you have me worried on that dome temp of 175...thats way too low..Please raise it to avoid problems.
    Your meats will be in the danger zone of under 160 degrees way too long, IMO..
    C~W
    Pictures look great ...~!!

• Char-Woody,
    I got it steady at 190, the ribs hit a plateau @143? Is that beacuse the dome temp is too low? Well I removed the tomatoes but the ribs went down to 126 while doing this. Now I brought the dome up to 210 trying to reach 235 soon. I hope the ribs are OK.
    Any one have any thoughts?

• Char-Woody
    egghead2004, for spares me thinks your still too low. What concerns me is the length of time the meat was exposed to lower than 160 degrees. It doesn't take long for bacteria, to develop toxins, and its the toxins than can really do you damage. The bacteria is killed off over 160 degrees, but the toxins remain, no matter what the temperatures later. How long were you cooking at your earlier temps.?
    I will let the rest of the group fill you in.
    C~W[p]

• Char-woody,
    It took 2 hours to get the ribs to 140, it sat there for 2 hours. The droped to 126 when I pulled the tomnatoes. It was up to 160 about an hour later. So about 5 hours before it reached 160. I just pulled them at 195.
    The toxins, are they harmful if consumed or will it just taste bad. I was not planning to eat them tonight, they were going to be cut up and tossed in the sauce. I can easily through them out and just make meatballs instead.

• Char-Woody
    egghead2004, I would be irresponsible to you to suggest that you eat these. Toxins when developed are very dangerous and non destructable. Just to be very safe for you and your family, I would toss them. Send Old Dave a quick e.mail, (stam@ccrtc.com)and I will do the same and maybe he will verify or confirm what I am suggesting. Life is too short, families are much more to worry about. Toss em.
    Thats a very long time in the danger zone.
    C~W[p]

• Char-Woody,
    I didn't eat them. They are gone, it's not worth 10 bucks getting sick. [p]The tomatoes should be good, the little drippings that went on them hit the sauce pan at a simmer a lot sooner than it took the rack to get up to 160.

• Char-Woody
    egghead2004, I am relieved. E.coli is nothing to fool with.
    Next time go no less than 220 on the dome thermometer for any low and slow cook. The grill temps will vary 5 to 10 or more degrees below that figure. Also, be sure and check your thermometer in boiling water.
    Keep the tip up off the bottom a inch or so and same distance from the sides of the pan of boiling water.
    Adjust with the hex nut under the dial on the stem.
    Just a tweak to reset the needle to 212. adjust that for your altitude differences.
    Cheers.. Have a good day and better BBQ next time.
    C~W[p]