Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Cast Iron Replacement Grate Question

BBQBluesStringer
BBQBluesStringer Posts: 398
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you that have a cast iron replacement grate for the BGE, do you leave your grate in all the time? I am just thinking that the warm, moist environment produced during and after LNS cooks would cause it to rust up pretty quick. I might just use it exclusively for the grills and sears I bought it for, and use the old wire rack for LNS cooks. I'll probably keep the cast iron clean and seasoned like my Gramma's old skillets.[p]Tell me, am I being anal retentive here?[p]Kelly

Comments

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]I think that asking Eggers if they're being anal retentive is redundant. I think you have to be if you're an egger. I mean, who else would cook 22 hour meals, build carts and hand weld rain covers? Eggers...that's who. [p]Are you being a bit retentive? Of course you are. but revel in your specificity (possibly made up word) and be proud!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,663
    BBQBluesStringer, mine has been in for about a month and hasnt rusted, the cast iron has lots of mass and i think it helps the low cooks. this mass causes a cooling problem for trex, but sears well at lower temps (650)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Kelly,[p]Here in FL, I would hesitate to leave it in the cooker 24/7 due to the high humidity we have to deal with. I think you're on the right track. Pull it out and leave the standard grid in for most of the cooks and season like you would any cast iron. [p]I've seen my cast iron pans in the pantry start to get rusty when I haven't used them in awhile and that's in the house! It's just far too humid here, even inside...![p]Tonia
    :~)[p]PS Did you make it up to the Royal Oak factory yet?

• Tonia,[p]I have not been yet. ;-) Unfortunately, they're open for business when I'm at work, so I'll have to make a special trip and load the wagon, so to speak.[p]Kelly
  • GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    BBQBluesStringer,
    Mine is seasoning right now, but I also plan to bring
    mine in and not leave it in the egg. I even bring the
    wire grates in to prevent rust in the summer here. On days
    like today I opened my eggs and they were wet inside
    from the humidity. That can't be good for cast iron.
    Chuck

• QBabe
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]We have the same problem with the hours. But at that price, it's worth taking a day off once in awhile and making a road trip adventure out of it![p]Tonia
    :~)

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    03_27_0009_41_04.jpg
    <p />BBQBluesStringer, check out the link - this one has been in my BGE since 3/2000 on a 24/7 basis and it is still just as good today as it was when originally purchased at my local hardware store for about $5

[ul][li]Cast Iron[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Gfw, me thinks we're talking about two different "grates"...yours is the bottom holding up the coals and they are referring to the cast iron cooking surface grate for searing.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • QBabe
    BBQBluesStringer,[p]GFW's post got me thinking...are you asking about the charcoal grate at the bottom of the egg that the lump sits on? Or, are you asking about the cast iron grid that is now available?[p]My response below was meant to address the cast iron grid. I never remove the cast iron charcoal grate that the lump sits on. It DOES stay in my eggs 24/7. [p]Sorry for the confusion...
    Tonia
    :~)[p]

• Gfw
    RRP, sorry about that - whenever I think of grates, I think of the one the coals sit on - guess I never thought about using one for searing - merely let the temp rise to about 800+ and the steaks always have nice lines :~}

• Gfw
    QBabe, Sorry... I think I created (not intentionally) the confusion - I didn't even know that there were now cast iron cooking girds available I still cook 3-4 times each week, just haven't kept up with the newest gadgets :~{

[ul][li]Gfw's BBQ[/ul]
  • QBabe
    Gfw,[p]Nothing to apologize for. I call the one for charcoal the grate and the one for cooking the grid. I was afraid that I misread the question after re-reading the post and realized that Kelly could have been talking about either.[p]Maybe he'll clear it up for us, LOL![p]Cheers,
    Tonia
    :~)

• QBabe, Sorry for the ambiguous terminology. I was talking about the newly available cast iron cooking grid.