Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Why Is There No FAQ?

Options
RiverFarm
RiverFarm Posts: 216
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Or if there is, why is it so hard to find? We were having the devil of a time getting our egg up to baguette temperatures and couldn't figure out what we were doing wrong; the top was off, the metal vent was open all the way, and it putted along at 300 or 350. After doing a lot of searching on the internet we starting poking around in the firebox and found that several of the holes were clogged. Once they were cleared, everything was back to normal again.

It would be really handy to have a trouble-shooting guide with pictures or diagrams so you could see where the problem spots might be when the egg wasn't performing. Even the customer service FAQs on the main BGE page only address general issues. It would also be nice to have descriptions re plate setter legs up and down and the uses for both, and information about other accessories, in a place where a newbie could easily be referred to them.

Just sayin'....

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Because there isn't..

Not from a lack of asking.. :laugh:

Plus we usually are the FAQ..
  • Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Options
    Pete,

Your not as ornery a FAQ as you used to be. :whistle:
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    I know you all are, and you do a great job, but it would be wonderful to have a central place where all that information was kept so we didn't have to go through all of the posts in a hit or miss fashion to find what we were looking for! You'd think the Mother Ship would want to offer something like that. I'm still waiting for my BGE cookbook and hoping that that will have some of those tips included with the recipes.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

I am not sure if folks don't like to read the forum posts or like to do a search but most all questions are answered with a lot of different solutions.

Your question gave me an idea to add FAQ in a post title. I have a Tips post that I put up once every +/- 4 weeks or so. Sometimes it has some corrections or new information and sometimes it is just a repost to bump it up in the listings.

If you do a search and use the word 'tips' you should find the post and get some great information and some initial links to help with some of the more common questions. When you get to the post look at Visual Guide to Vent Settings I think your question is answered there.

GG
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

I just did a search for 'tips' and of course 'tri tips' has a lot of hits. So I will repost the page with FAQ in the heading and that should make it easier to find the post when searching.

GG
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    RiverRat, you're right there probably should be a FAQ but as mentioned there is not. Its a function of an all volunteer staff. Grandpa's Grub has a couple of posts that have links that are about as close as it gets. Yes, there are a few really basic things that are covered on those links and after you spend time here you'll be able to answer most of them for others and help them work through their individual situation. If that is not your cup of tea or jar of sauce, then don't. There is something comforting about running into trouble in the middle of the night and having some insomniac BBQ boy with his ears on. FAQ misses that some. Just sayin'
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Amen brother!!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    GG, I have your tips bookmarked already, and I looked at that visual guide to vent settings when we were wrestling with temperature problems. But I don't think you talk about cleaning out the air holes in the firebox, or if you do I didn't see it. It would also be nice to have a diagram of where the air holes are. DH says there are some in the bottom that he missed when cleaning them out the first time?

Anyway, thanks for the tips and the help you give newbies, but it would still be nice to have a FAQ!
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    I have gotten almost immediate feedback whenever I've had an issue, so as I said, you people are wonderful that way. But it would be nice to be able to do a little research yourself before resorting to a call for help, especially when it's something so basic that you'd think it would be included in the owner's manual. And if there were a FAQ, we could still ask on the forum if it didn't address a particular problem, so we wouldn't be losing anything.

GG, yeah, I did a search for tips and found a lot of other stuff before your post came up. Titling it FAQ would probably help.

And Morro Bay Rich, I did check out Naked Whiz and didn't see that particular issue discussed. I finally found it somewhere by googling; I don't even remember the search terms I used!
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    Don't look for the Ornery FAQ anytime in the future.. It has been deleted.. :lol:
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If you aren't careful you will get WessB all excited.. LOL
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

"But I don't think you talk about cleaning out the air holes in the firebox, or if you do I didn't see it."

===========

I was wondering if I talked checking the holes in the egg either.

If it will ever stop raining I am working on some information with the egg regarding fire box alignment and cleaning or leaving ash in the egg. It should provide some interesting information if the results are as I expect them to be.

Once in a while update your bookmark to a new post. At times I correct add or subtract some of the references.

I have just posted a new copy above.

GG
  • Capt Frank
    Capt Frank Posts: 2,578
    Options
    You sound very frustrated and that is understandable. A diagram would be worthless since you can't see the thing anyway and you move it everytime you clean out your firebox.
    Just rememember, Everything else being equal, you have to have good airflow to have a good fire, a bent up coathanger will work as a wiggle rod to probe around in the grate holes, just stick with it, you will get it. :)

Capt Frank
    Homosassa, FL
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    Actually I'm not frustrated at all; we did figure out what the problem was and everything's working well now. I'm just thinking about the other people who could use a more centrally-located source of tips and tidbits about the care and feeding of an Egg.

Capt. Frank, a diagram would have helped because it would have told us that there were more holes than we realized at first. Some people are more visual than others; maybe a description would have worked better for some, but a diagram would have been good for us. We did know that we needed a good airflow but it took us a while to recognize that the firebox had as many air holes as it did and that some needed cleaning out.

GG, I'll look forward to seeing your new information on fire box alignment! Will you post the new FAQ on the forum in a prominent place?
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    It's there in both the FAQ and Information Central on my website....
    The Naked Whiz
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options

The FAQ in the title was a great suggestion and should make it easier to find the post.

No matter what happens I will post the results one time. If the results are what I expect and are of benefit to others I will include a link to the post in the FAQ post.

GG
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Have you looked at Wise One's BGE cookbook? It's on my website in the Recipes and Cookbook's section.
    The Naked Whiz
  • deepsouth
    deepsouth Posts: 1,796
    Options
    i'm sure it's been brought up a hundred (or more) times, like everything else...... ;)

i've been thinking about this the past few days.... there could be a sticky at the top of the page that's an FAQ.

we could assemble it and then the admin could copy and past it into an FAQ sticky. it could be a living, breathing thing and could be added too, but in a pretty short amount of time, we could assemble a thread of links and link topics.

some of you guys seem to be able to search this place with the speed and stealth of the puma.

anyway, cheers all!
  • RiverFarm
    Options
    The Naked Whiz wrote:
    It's there in both the FAQ and Information Central on my website....

You're right, it's there, but without a picture or diagram I wasn't sure what was meant by air holes and lining up with the vent. I did figure it out but it took a while.

And I hadn't looked at the WiseOne's cookbook; it does have some helpful tips. But again, they're buried and hard to find!
  • 'Q Bruddah
    'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
    Options
    My egg is on a table and with the bottom vents open I can bend way down and see the fire grate with the holes so that it isn't a blind search. I can see exactly where the wiggle rod needs to go. The more holes unplugged the better the light gets. I am not as limber as I could be but if I can do it most anybody should be able to.